Sunday, May 16, 2010

All abuzz!

So since yesterday's dance outing went well, I expected today would be easier.  He knew what would happen; it should be less scary.

Except he also knew that i was not supposed to be back stage or in the cafeteria running fun and games for the duration.  The school has a rule that parents work one assigned shift, watch the show the other performance.

KC also said he didn't like the finale.  Which is really more of a curtain call. All the students mashed up onstage for a final bow.  He said he got pushed and felt "funny in his tummy" about it.  I think the house lights were also up then and he could see the audience which is most likely what the root of the problem was.  He loves to dance but not to see who he is dancing for. 

So we went early to the performance venue, met with the amazing Miss Heidi who agreed that her lone bee could not be so discomfited that he was teary eyed and trembling.  I was given special dispensation to remain on cafeteria duty and the stage crew obligingly let me creep backstage again.  It was rather surreal as he felt all tense and edgy in my arms but once on stage?  It is like a switch got flipped and the performance was really really good!

I did agree that he didn't need to stay for the finale. I know that the previous day a couple kids had to leave before that and I figured he did a pretty fair job of articulating his concern to me.  So we got home about an hour earlier than the day before.  We took the above picture in our garden (I thought that was clever putting a bee in the garden!!) and then had a celebratory dinner at a pizza joint. Now the weekend is over, and tomorrow it is back to work, which is likely to be a tad more calm than my weekend has been.

1 comment:

Todd said...

He's a good lookin young man :)