Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Taking Time for Gratitude

I do that a lot, really.  Maybe because I brush up against a lot of tough situations through my work, I can see how honestly richly blessed, we are.  Sure, things are always challenging, but we have a lot that others don't.   For instance, I have extended family who have moved probably 6 times in 7 years and not because of job transfers or anything.  The fact that my kids have a stable home, a loving home, a circle of friends and community, that means a lot to me. 

But this weekend is that time that I maybe look more formally at my blessings.  Today was a huge one.  You see, my wife is an introvert.  She really hates big get togethers and tomorrow our house will be packed with family.  It will be loud.  It will be fun.  Did I say loud?  LOL  For me, being around people is energizing.  For her, it is draining. She will be exhausted by the end of the day. I will be pumped and probably find some house chore to do with all my extra energy.  Truly, opposites attract!

This difference though, has always in the past, led her to approach the coming festivities with a demeanor somewhat reminiscent of --oh, say Ebeneezer Scrooge. Yup, I know that is Christmas, but the attitude is the same!  But this year, she has embraced the holiday.  Perhaps part of the change is in her. Perhaps part is that we don't have overnight guests until Thursday night. In years past, they have come in on Wednesday.  For her, preparing the meal AND entertaining is a double whammy she doesn't really love.  Today, it was just our immediate family getting ready and it was fun.  And she was happy. Which made it even better.

We also made some new recipes. I love trying new things and usually get shot down because Kirsty's family is very rigid about the meal.  It must be thus and so.  Forever and Ever.  Amen. It was a big deal for them to go from buying crescent rolls in a tube to eating my scratch ones!  LOL  (till they tried them and discovered how killer good they are!)

 But this year they want to eat while watching the Patriots game.  So in addition to not having a formal dinner in our dining room, we have turned our living room into sort of a bistro, with a tables to gather around, and other alternative seating and eating options. And that seemed like the perfect time to sneak in some daring new ideas. (grin)

Kirsty was at first I think afraid to do it but then got on board. She even decided to try something new with the turkey (brining.)  I can't speak to that as I don't eat meat.  But I have made a new cranberry sauce recipe (it uses pomegranate juice as well as cranberries).  I tried a new pumpkin bread recipe for noshing on in the morning.  Made parker house rolls instead of crescent rolls.  We have a new dessert in addition to the familiar ones.  It was just fun mixing in a few new things with the old chestnuts.  So I am grateful for the chance to try the new stuff.  What can I say, I bore easily! LOL

And I am grateful for my kids.  Rob helped us transform the living room, lugging up the patio furniture without complaint.  Chet helped vacuum.  Lissa helped me roll the bread dough.  She and KC helped me  make pumpkin bread.  There was very little fussing till the very end of the day when I know the littles were just tired and also somewhat keyed up because they know COMPANY IS COMING.  They always say it like that too.  You can tell how important the gathering is to them and I am grateful that they have that too.  A love of family and an extended family that loves us all is the very best thing of all.