Monday, April 19, 2021

KC is 17!

 





So this is KC's second Covid birthday!  Last year when he turned 16 we organized a drive by birthday parade and decorated inside with a Broadway theme.  I had pre-covid promised him a large outdoor friends birthday party and of course that could not happen.  I felt horrible about it all.  16 is such a milestone. And my kids have not typically had a lot of "friends" parties. We usually do family parties and only have big friends ones for milestone events.  


This year we had a local company come early in the morning before the teen was up and they put this banner on our front lawn.  Elisabeth was away this weekend--she had checked with KC before accepting the invitation months ago.  He said he thought she should go as since lockdown she has not had a lot of time out of the house and he felt she really needed it.  

But K and I still felt we had to do everything we could to make his birthday special.  Hence the banner.  He still had a family party and Rob was here, and cooked KC's favorite chicken entree and made a delicous carrot cake for the birthday cake.  There were gifts, phone calls from family who could not be here and lot of laughter.

I also made KC's favorite cinnamon rolls for breakfast yesterday --we have kind of had the whole weekend have lots of little bits of joy for him.  He loves these rolls which I typically only make on Christmas.  And tonight we will have a favorite supper of his, arroz con gandules.

He had time to go to a friends house and watch a movie.  He had time to see a favorite show with me. And he told me how very cool the banner was and that he didn't think anything could top last years birthday, but that somehow we did.  

Seriously, how am I so very blessed to have kids who feel the love and joy of experiences even in these harder times?  Celebrations have always been tremendously important to KC (top pic is when he was 3 and was helping to paint the rainbow mural for his party.)  That my son feels that his day was in no way diminished by the circumstances of covid fills me with such joy.  


No comments: