Sunday, May 9, 2021

Mothers Day Weekend

 I took Friday off this past week so that I could sand the floor in my wife's bedroom.  This room has had carpet on the floor ever since I can remember.  Allergies and rugs don't mix well for us.  And the rug was old and in need of replacement.  In lieu of that, we pulled the rug out and discovered that the floor, although painted in several colors, was really in great shape.

So Friday I spent the day sanding the floor.  After about 4 hours it looked like this:



I love the honey tones in the wood.  It is really different wood from all our other floors. Those are wide pine floors. This floor has narrower boards--though still wider than is common in flooring nowadays and the wood tones are much deeper.

Today Kirsty has put 3 coats of Bona high traffic polyurethane on it.  It is looking even better than this "naked" shot.  It will be a week before we can move her furniture back into the room but it will be worth the wait.  Oddly, I love sanding floors.  Which is probably good because this is the 5th or 6th that I have done in our home  thus far.

We also spent time working on cutting down a 30 x 24 base cabinet.  It is now a 30 x 18 base cabinet. This was time consuming but not all that hard.  We have a circular saw now, and moving into the land of power tools definately speeds up things.  LOL  We also used my cool portable work table that I bought a couple weeks ago. This eased things too as I could set it up right in the upstairs bathroom where the cabinet was.  

The cabinet also has a drawer and we had to cut that down as well and install new drawer glides. Things went along swimingly until we discovered that the end brackets I ordered were not correct. I have ordered what I hope is the correct replacement and it will come in tomorrow.  If all goes well we pop that on tomorrow night and the cabinet will be ready for painting.  I'm proud of this little project. First of all, there is the fact that we repurposed a cabinet that we no longer needed into something we very much need.  We have very little storage in that bathroom and I need to create a place where Elisabeth can keep her beauty supplies.  

The other component to this is putting on a laminate counter top.  Of course they are not sold in the width and length that I need.  I was going to order one but the sales rep said that there is a $500 set up fee and the best bet would be to order a 4 ft counter top and cut it down ourselves.  Using painters tape would prevent the laminate from splintering.  Check out yo*tube the sales rep advised.  So I did. And it looks pretty straight forward.  I have ordered the slab and it will be in mid week.  Next weekend we can hopefully cut it down and it will be ready to mount.

The next facet of this particular room make over will involve an electrician installing two new lights in the room and the plumber installing a new toilet and the new sink and vanity.  Then the room is essentially complete until our first floor bathroom is done.  When that one is done, I want to have the tub resurfaces and it will go from old blue tub to sparkling white.  Even my daughter, who is a tough critic, likes the way the room is turning out.

And in spite of all those projects, we still had a lovely Mothers Day dinner with a surprise gift for my wife. I made her meal of choice--sweet and sour meatballs, mac and cheese, roasted aspargus and a tropical cake.  We pitched in and got her a kayak.  It is a fold up one so she should not hurt her back getting it to and from a paddling place.  She is super excited as she has wanted a kayak for a long time.



No comments: