Sunday, June 13, 2021

Property Manager At Last!

 Although I need to catch everyone up on the reno project that never ends  renovations, I have other exciting news to share.  (drum roll!) In two weeks I will be starting a new job.  I have worked at my present site since (wait for it) 1978.  Yup.  Not only am I old but that is a seriously long time to stay at one job location. To be fair, I have held three positions during my employ at this apartment community.  And the site was sold so I have worked for two management companies. But the gold ring--that position of property manager has eluded me.

I kind  of thought I had a lock on it about 2 or 3 years ago.  I filled in as interim for over a year while my company searched for a new manager. I lowered delinquent accounts, and reduced the turn over time on vacant units.  My regional manager wanted me to be promoted, but it did not happen.  The new manager is very nice and I was very helpful teaching her about the job and the site.

Around the holidays I saw an ad for a property manager in a nearby town.  I applied and had three interviews.  The hiring manager said they had to wait til they got two more applicants before their board would make a decision.  I understand wanting a number of candidates, but I am not sitting around like Sunday dinner leftovers for unknown weeks hoping you decide I am a good fit.  You either know I am or you don't.  A company whose decision making is THAT drawn out concerns me. There are decisions that require lots of thought and bids etc. There are also situations where decisions must be made expediently.  It left me wondering how they handle the latter type of situation and I just stopped following up because things did not feel right.

Spring came and I got a great review at my present job.  I was glad, and I got a nice raise and bonus.  I was pleased, but typically I get good reviews.  I work pretty hard at that.  Three days ago my desk phone lit up and it was our HR director.  They had a managership coming open in a nearby town (about 20 minutes from my home). She and our VP and our CFO felt I would be the perfect fit for the job and wanted to know if I would like to discuss this further.  I said absolutely and we set a teams meeting for the next day.  They l sat there, stunned.  The teams meeting was not really an interview.  It was an outline of plans for the site, explanations on staffing and goals for the property and a job offer.  Which I accepted.

I will start there in 2 weeks.  My present manager is really stressed because the list of all the things I do at our property is about 6 pages long typed. (I created that list for her when I first applied for the other job) The job description for my replacement does not include most of those things, so there are a lot of things she will need to take on or teach to two other office people, who have not done them in the past. (and who up to now have had no interest in learning them)  I feel badly for my manager, she is really really nice. But I am beyond excited to have this opportunity.  It comes at a time when my kids are older and I am comfortable being further away from them. KC will be a senior this year. (Not sure how that is possible but it is!) and Elisabeth is entering her first year of high school.  Before I accepted though, I ran this by the whole family and they were overwhelming in their agreement that I should accept the job.


The site that I will manage is nearly as large as the one I work at now and I will have a staff of 7.  There will be lots of new things to learn and new challenges.  I am really really excited!







No comments: