Sunday, January 11, 2015

Fiona's wisdom teeth.

Thursday  Fiona was supposed to have her wisdom teeth out.  I had arranged to meet her at the dentist. The dentist was in a city about 40 minutes from us.  I got an advance on sick time for the year at work and was waiting right on time.  Except that the staff at the group home slipped up and forgot the appointment.  I am baffled at how that happens. They had an appointment card. I had an appointment card. Our house has more people in it than the group home and we get everyone where they need to be when they need to be there.  And besides that, how do you forget something as important as a medical appointment.  The drs office told me that they had even called and left  a reminder message the day before.  When I mentioned that in my tirade discussion over the missed appointment I was told the home had no phone service for the past three days, and that Verizon was coming to fix it that day.  Which was either a signifcant health and safety concern for me or a prevarication.  I suspect the latter since I called them on their landline and all our discussions were on that line.

The error resulted in the surgery not happening and the dentist refusing to make another appointment.  My daughter has a consult with another dentist on the 14th. Hopefully the surgery will be scheduled promptly after that.

I went all the way up the food chain filing complaints regarding this.  I understand human error.  I did not get wicked upset when staff forgot that Fiona was going to the movies with us 2 weeks ago and we had to scramble around to get her to the cinema on time.  That is something I understand forgetting.  Medical things, no.  And it makes me wonder what else they have forgotten that I don't know about?

My email box has been full of communications regarding this matter since I filed my complaint and began my calling of powers that be. I am hopeful that this will show that I care. That I am vigilent and that for my daughter's sake, I am watching them with eagle eyes.

I also have toured a great potential day facility for Fiona to participate in.  When one of the group home higher ups called me to apologize again (!) I talked with her about this opportunity. She said she is taking my daughter this coming week to tour the facility. I said that I wanted to know what was being done about the mid day medication issue. The day facility does not medicate and I had communicated this to the group home after my tour. Fiona takes a mid day dose of a significant med so it is important to find out if this schedule can be adjusted. What a surprise (not!) to find out that the higher up had no idea that the program did not administer meds and that this would be something to resolve.I reiterated my desire for them to contact my daughter's psychiatrist and address the issue.

As much as this whole situation drives me batty, I wonder what happens for people who have guardians out of state or less involved.  I suspect it can't be good.

No comments: