Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Springing into Change!

 I am going in to work late today because I have a job interview at 10.  It started as a bit of a whim.  I saw an ad while I was on vacation in December.  I sent my resume and received a prompt call.  I had a phone interview and then a zoom interview a week or so  later.  It was planned that I would have an in person visit at the site in January but the interviewer became ill with Covid and things have been in hiatus until now.


I really want to be a property manager and i don't see my company promoting me to that position. It would mean finding someone to handle a very complex compliance aspect and that is somewhat harder to do.  The site I work at is a blended site with a number of subsidy programs so there are constant audits and interfacing with a variety of regulatory agencies.


I was a sort of defacto interim property manager for over a year for the site.  I did very well and my regional manager did tell me that she wanted me to become the manager. However our company CEO found someone else and she took the position.  She is very nice.  I like her a lot.  I had to help train her which was kind of weird. I also got a very nice bonus for all the extra work that I did in the dual capacities.  But, as i said, I don't see them promoting me because it is in the company's interest to keep a highly qualified person in a compliance role.

I am also somewhat limited by my own personal medical condition. I have migraines.  The number of them vary according to weather patterns, allergies, and a number of other factors.  I manage well but one thing that I try to do is limit the amount of driving I do because that has a strong correlation with the number of migraines. (particularly night driving with headlights coming at me) I also worry that in a long commute I would be unable to drive safely home if I had a migraine come on at work.

My present job is 3 miles from my house.  I could literally walk there if I had to. I have biked there when there was road construction because it was faster than waiting in traffic. The job I am applying for is only about another 4 miles down the road. 

There is much that is unknown but there is always much to be learned from the interview process.  So here's to challenges, potential opportunities and advancement!



No comments: