Sunday, January 28, 2024

Fledging kids and failing parents

 KC is loving this semester of college.  He loved last semester too, but there is a lot more actual dancing in these classes and he is totally loving it.  He danced a lot last semester but typically in opportunities beyond classes that he sought out for himself.  As predicted, the house is quieter (and cleaner!) 

I am feeling better and was back at my dance class this week.  But aging parents are also weighing on my spirit lately.  Both my mom and my FIL (who is Dad to me) are 90  Mom is beginning to feel either unable and/or unwilling to cook for herself.  She is looking into a meals on wheels type option and I have been bringing her food that I cook. (I chronically over cook anyway and usually freeze for the future or use for lunches so this is not hard for me.)  However seeing her slowing down is hard.

More worrisome is Dad.  Til now he has been robust, walking his small dog regularly, and while his vision and hearing are poor the rest of him was in good health.  Last week I got a call from Life Alert that he was in distress and that emergency services were dispatched.  Life Alert then called me back and said he was being transported to the hospital.  (side note: I can't say enough good things about this company! I set up his account when he fell a few years ago walking the dog and cut his head badly.  They have been nothing short of amazing to deal with and help my mind be at ease with him 40 minutes away)

It turned out that he had a bacterial infection in his bloodstream and he was hospitalized til Friday when they got that under control.  Now he is in rehab to try and build up his strength.  He presently has to use a rollator to walk and for him to return home, he has to be able to go upstairs for bed and for bathing. We talked on the phone today and he is in good spirits.  He is highly motivated for his PT as he wants above all else to get back home to famliar surroundings and his little dog.

But it has been a hard emotional hit watching the two seniors begin to falter.  K said Dad told her at Thanksgiving that he was ready to see her mom again.  (she passed many years ago)  I kind of freaked out when K told me as her Dad has always been there for me in all the ways you would hope a dad could or would be. I can't envision life without him.


No comments: