Saturday, November 21, 2009

Marthanity and potlucks

I am on the Religious Education committee at the UU church where we worship.  This year somehow I got made co-chair of the committee which was really okay with me.  Then I found out the director of our religious educatioin program who is an amazing director, will be on sabbatical this spring.  Also 2 more months next year.  Hmmmm, can we say the bite we took to chew got a wee bit bigger?

Everyone on the committee also takes on a subcommittee.  I have been diligent over the years in this.  I did the really icky task of recruitment once, helping to round up unsuspecting folks to implement the program each Sunday.  Our church and church school is large, with 2 services so we need a lot of bodies for these kids teachers and assistants.  From that um, interesting experience I moved for some weird reason to the budget committee.  Yup that was WAY more fun than harrassing people (oh, I mean inviting people) to assist with the program. 

I was on the social action committee for a while and that was a lot of  fun but then the focus of the committee changed and I was less enthused. Sometimes I am as flighty as my kids in my interests!  So this year when the sub-com sign ups went out, I signed up for the FUN committee.  Yup, that is its name. Doesn't that sound cool?  Who doesn't want to have fun?  OK turns out my fun committee is responsible for creating a couple of events for families and other church folk to come to and enjoy one anothers company.  We came up with the idea of a pot luck dinner just before Thanksgiving.  People might not have a place to go for the holidays and perhaps a relaxed dinner with friends would brighten the week.

I host Thanksgiving dinner at our house.  I have a kabillion things to do to get ready for that.  And I thought this potluck idea up.  Yup, clearly brains are not a big requirement for the Fun Committee.  So all week I have been visiting iparty getting table cloths (orange, cream and yellow for those interested in our color scheme).  I have a giant cut out of corn stalks and small table decorations.  I have coordinating napkins and russet colored dessert plates.  My wife kindly baked her killer apple pie and made a pot of arroz con gandules to bring.  (we call this spanish rice at our house but it is really rice with pidgeon peas). I will pick up copious quantities of apple cider for our beverage.

 And today while K works I have to get the troops to our church and set up for this so that when the doors open at 5 it is welcoming and we are ready.  My other committee member informed me at the 11th hour that she couldn't be there till 15 minutes before things start.  So I gave her clean up!  How's that for putting the fun in the Fun Committee!  LOL

1 comment:

Todd said...

Makes me kind of happy I don't go to church :-) Too much work!