Monday, May 11, 2020

Mothers Day is Reno Day!

The DIY train keeps rolling along here at the 10 Green as my kids used to call our house when they were little.  The bathroom hallway got its coat of paint today now that all the old wallpaper (4 blessed layers of wallpaper!!!) has been removed. The seams have been caulked and the walls mudded and sanded smooth.  The paint is a creamy yellow and will brighten the space greatly.

Elisabeth's room is almost empty and ready for us to prime the walls today.  I had Elisabeth help me rip out the rug and padding and showed her how to remove tack strip.  I have a lot of the staples that used to hold down the padding removed but will need another evening of work to finish that up.  My wife primed the back wall.  This room has only one window so we didn't want to prime all the walls at once because the smell would overwhelm.  While I have no sense of smell a boat load of Kilz is good for a migraine so a slower pace is good for me too.

We stopped work about 12;30 and I picked up our Mothers Day meal from a local restaurant.  It was meat based so I ate sides but I knew my wife would love this meal and she did. The kids had cards and gifts and it was lovely.  I made a pineapple sunshine cake--which is kind of a cheater dessert to me as it uses a cake mix as a base but there was no flour in the store this shopping trip and I only have a 10 pound bag left here at home. (I realize that sounds like a lot of flour but we bake a LOT, especially in pandemic times.) So since there were cake mixes at the store I reverted to this old "recipe" that did not deplete my precious flour stock!

Later that night we went outside and had a fire in our fire pit.  It was chilly out and a perfect night for it.  Lots of chatter and laughter, only Chet would not come because we had no marshmallows.  That made a fire "pointless."  (laughing)  He has promised to come to the next fire when I am able to find marshmallows.  Understanding the realities of pandemic shopping in our area is hard for him.

We also called my mom and wished her happy mothers day.  All in all it was a lovely day and we feel very blessed.


No comments: