Saturday, June 20, 2020

The Reno train keeps moving along!


Chet washing siding

The renovation work has continued since Covid-19 still keeps us socially distanced from those we love and many of the things we do.  We find joy in working on and around the house.  This shot is of Chet washing siding. This is something he does well as long as I have the time to stand there with him.

Another big project has been painting all the white trim on the house.  It has been labor intensive--lots of scraping and prep is needed before the paint actually goes on.  A good paint job is 90 percent prep and when one is dealing with areas that have not been painted for many years this is especially true.  On the upside, it was a good reason to buy a small orbital hand sander for myself!  The trim looks fresh and crisp now. The only trim that remains I have to rent a big ladder for as it is under those windows at the very top in the picture above.

I have now also begun work on the porch interior.  That space you see in the picture will someday have screens that my wife and I want to make. Today I sanded the floor. It has been covered for 40 years by that fake grass stuff.  It is now sanded and it appears there is only one area that really requires some attention.  I think there is a rotted joist that we will have to sister a board to and then put a patch of new tongue and groove there.  Can you tell I amuse myself watching DIY youtube videos?

The floor will eventually be painted with gray enamel.  Then we will put an indoor outdoor area rug down and my wife will have a nearby little oasis when she has a few minutes to relax.

No comments: