Thursday, July 9, 2020

Mini Vaca post (from a couple weeks ago!)

I am back from a mini vacation at a friend's waterfront camp.  The location was only about 10 minutes from our home but felt literally worlds away.  M found out that we had to cancel our planned camping trip out of state due to Covid. (I can not sign the required affadavit that I have self quarentined for 14 days before entering the other state)  She offered free use of her family's camp.  It was somewhat 11th hour so my wife had a lot of cleaning jobs lined up and could not be there as much as we would hope.  KC had work and had the same issue.  Elisabeth had taken on pet sitting for a friend and would need to go back and forth from camp back to our city so she could fulfill those duties.  

Despite all that, all of us got to spend some time at the camp and we made the most of every minute of it.  It was amazing how much cooler and comfortable the temperatures were.  The little camp was sweet and the kids were loving the fact that it had a/c if you wanted to use it. (we have none in our old house here in the city and survive with fans only) I loved how quiet it was.  Our city is loud and busy with traffic and the sounds of those we share the street with.

There was a night I was there alone with all the kids and my wife heading home after a day spent on the water.  I am rarely alone and typically don't enjoy it.  I am a people person in the purest sense of the word.  But either my spirit really needed this or the space was so different that I did not feel lonely.  Or maybe both.  I went on walks around the camp community.  I sat by the dock and watched the boaters and the sun set. I read, drank tea and watched bunnies romping.  I sat so quietly a duck swam past me close enough that I could have touched its feathers.  

The next day the family rejoined me after their various duties had been attended to.  More water fun.  KC and Rob kayaked together.  My wife took Chet out in a kayak.  Elisabeth and I spent time lounging in very comfy floaty tubes on the lake.  Elisabeth spent the night with me that night and that was fun.  We rarely have time just the two of us.  We walked together and chatted about nothing serious. She loved watching the rabbits and the fact that the room she claimed as "hers" had a big double bed.

The last day after the family spent the day, Rob and KC spent the night with me.  Before everyone left we had a campfire and then the boys and I spent time gathering our gear.  The next day we would leave in the morning but would climb a local mountain on our way home.  That was so much fun and really special. We made it to the top in a record time--one of my weird habits is that I am always trying to beat either the book time on a hike or my own personal best time.  This hike did both.  And gave me time with my sons.

Quarantine life has taken things from us most definately.  I really miss seeing friends.  I miss spontaneous gatherings. I miss the occasional restaurant meal.  But I love the deepening relationships and increased family time. I love the conversations around the dinner table and as we hike or joke around at the camp fire. And I loved the three days at the camp and hiking with my guys!

No comments: