Friday, January 7, 2022

2022 First Snowstorm

 It snowed late last night.  Actually it probably started in the early morning hours.  I now work about 30 minutes from home.  I got up at 4 and saw it was snowing but that it looked drivable. Went back to bed and got up at my usual time of 5:30  Ate breakfast and decided since it was snowing heavier that I should leave by 6:30.  At 6:20 I was brushing off the car. At 6:30 I was in the car and slowly driving to work.

The ride was looooong.  No one was driving more than 30 mph and the lane marks on the roads were not visible.  The off ramp I had to take was not plowed.  On the plus side: my car is a standard.  I never got higher than 4th gear but it stayed holding the road quite well.  There was a lot of caution on the part of myself and other drivers.  People were keeping a good following distance and no one was trying to drive like it was NOT snowing like crazy.  Also, I work at the top of a hill.  There is a steep pitch from both sides of the road that leads to it. There is no way to go to work without going up the hill.  On the plus side, schools were closed so I was not fighting bus traffic and the side of the street leading up the hill had been plowed. The other side had not.

I made it to work safely (another plus!) and parked as is my custom, at the visitors lot at the far end of the site.  I like to walk the site on my way into the office each day, checking for maintenance issues, debris, future projects and often, greeting residents.  I am passionate about turning this into a community where people feel heard by management and where there is a feeling of caring amongst all residents. I know that latter part is a big project--this is senior housing with many different cultures and customs coming together and helping people to understand one another is going to be a project that takes time

But I digress. . . as i was walking my cell phone rang. I answered and it was my portfolio manager. She was supposed to come out today and I thought that she was calling to cancel.  Nope. She was calling because at 6:31 the company sent an email that all MA sites were closed.  LOL

Since I was all ready there, I stayed till 1ish.  My temp workers came in also and i did some training with the office temp.  There is always something to do and I also wanted to see how the snow removal was handled at the site.  Imagine my shock and surprise though when I went to my car at 1 and the landscaper had totally shovelled all around my car!  I was so shocked.  I always have a little shovel in my car for such things as this did not usually happen in my old site, so it was just a bit of brightness in my day.  Also the ride home was clear sailing with plowed and salted roads.  All that said, I am all ready eager for spring!




No comments: