Saturday, December 23, 2017

Christmas Eve Eve

Life has been busy enough lately that my posts all seem to linger in "draft" mode, never quite finsihed or brushed up for actual posting.  I looked in and saw that my hectic post was still hanging there in draft and laughed. 

Lissa's party was a huge success. She had a truly wonderful time with friends.  Friday night she was at a friends house and they had a party for her and gifts.  This family is amazingly wonderful and kind to Lissa and I am so glad that they are in her life.  It takes a village is not just a trite phrase.  It is vitally important to me that my kids all have a number of trusted adults in their lives so that if they are not comfortable turning to me or to my wife, that there is someone else in their corner.

The next day her party here happened and it was also a blast.  All the kids had so much fun, I overheard one of them saying that it was the best sleep over party they had been to because there was so much to do.  I am the queen of over planning for kids events so that was so very true.  11 is the age where cliques develop and Lissa has friends from a variety of walks of life.  As a homeschooler she has friends from dance, scouts, church, chorus and the neighborhood.  These kids don't all know each other.  So it was super important to me that there be activities that allowed them to get to know each other and to keep everyone doing something.  They were asleep by 11ish and started the day with home made waffles about 7ish the next morning. 

That night we had Vespers at our church and both the kids were in the pageant.  KC did an amazing job doing his reading from the pulpit.  He is one of those rare kids who did not have to be taught to slow down when he does public speaking.  He has a very measured, thoughtful delivery and did us and most importantly himself, proud.

Lissa was a "head sheep" and did well also.  By the time we were home from that though, we were all pretty tired.

My vacation started yesterday and that has been a huge blessing.  I rarely have big blocks of time off.  It is hard with the type of work that I do.  However at this time of year, when it is my turn for time off I can wrangle 11 days of no work by using 4 vacation days!  Score!!!  So yesterday and today we wrapped up holiday preparations.  Food has been bought, all the gifts and stocking stuffers have been wrapped, and tomorrow we will travel to Maine to celebrate with my mom and her partner.  In a true holiday miracle he is home from rehab after weeks of serious illness. 

Today I did not go out at all.  A snow and ice event made the roads less than great and I had no real reason to sally forth.  Instead, I puttered in the kitchen, making cookies, coquito and a special multi step pie (chocolate candy cane) for Christmas dinner. I cleaned the kitchen several times--I am not the neatest of cooks.  KC also had a part in it as he made fudge for my mom as one of his Christmas gifts to bring her tomorrow.

I know that people want to slow down the holidays.  And I used to feel that way too.  I have since decided after years of trying unsuccessfully to slow it down, that I will just go with it.  I'll do as much as I can of the things that we love.  Most things will happen, inevitably somethings probably won't.  But there will be more hits than misses. Memories will be made, laughter will be shared.  And that is the most important part of the holidays for me, anyway.

No comments: