Sunday, December 24, 2017

Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling, people sitting, christmas tree and indoor

Merry Christmas Eve from our house to yours!  Chet had all ready gone up to bed when the rest of the kids hung their stockings. That means you only see three of the 4 who live here.  Fiona is with her first family in the Big City tonight and will be here on Wednesday to celebrate with us.

I love Christmas. I love the melding of so many traditions.  For instance, as I sit here writing I am sipping Coquito.  It is a Puerto Rican riff on egg nog, only better.  It isn't thick and gummy the way real egg nog seems to me. I don't even really like the soy egg nog as much as I enjoy coquito.  I first was introduced to it when we went to PR on vacation back when Chet was in 6th grade. This I did learn how to make and have sipped away at my container over the past few days.  Such a decadent delight.

There are pizzelles which are my favorite Italian cookie.  My friend Crystal brought some to our house last night and it made me literally glow with happiness.  They are something I don't know how to make and enjoy completely.

I used to have residents from Greece who made the most amazing baklava and little crescent shaped cookies sprinkled with confectioners sugar.  Mmmmm, divine.  I have not had them since they moved away but remember them fondly.  Also two recipes I don't know how to make.

Our family has food traditions too.  Home made penuche fudge to give as gifts (and lets face it, we make a double batch so there is enough for us to eat as well!) Frosted sugar cookies, and home made cinnamon buns for Christmas morning. When Fiona is home for Christmas I always make cheesy grits with breakfast because that is a food she loves from her past.  I love it too and have learned to make it just the way she likes it.

I wish the rest of the year, all our traditions could meld together as joyfully and with as much ease as they seem to at Christmas.  I have the feeling we would see one another differently, judge less and appreciate more.  

No comments: