Saturday, December 23, 2017

It's that most. . . hectic time of the year!

In some ways, it is like this every year.  There are a score of amazing, fun, and wonderful happenings.  There is not enough time for all that we want to do.  The calendar fills, then there are cross outs, additions, deletions. There are great things, and the challenges that don't stop because it is December and life is busy.

I am as bad as my kids.  I want to do it ALL.  I want to hear the concerts, see the plays, make the cookies, have the parties, send the cards. . .

We have done a lot.  There was a city play at the high school on Friday night.  Our former next door neighbor was in it as well as some of KC's friends from dance.  I had planned to take all 3 kids.  However some respiratory plague has descended upon us and Lissa was too ill to come so it was just KC and I.  Amazing production of Peter Pan though (with flying scenes too!!) and we enjoyed it greatly.  However that was tinged with sadness because Lissa was home sick and was not able to be with us.

A couple of weeks ago Lissa sang with a local school chorus at the start of our city's Holiday Stroll.  This was a first for her and part of the holiday craziness has been adding in the practice time for this. Attending the stroll has been an annual event for our family.  This year Lissa announced that she wanted to be part of the school chorus that her friend A is in.  We are entitled to participate even though we home school, so I worked to make it happen.  I think by the time December ends, Lissa will feel that her chorus experience is complete.  I am not exactly sure what she envisioned but this sample of the experience is apparently adequate for her at the moment.  I don't feel invested one way or another. I try to make sure that all the kids have the opportunities to dabble in things they find intriguing or interesting.  Sometimes they find a new passion. Sometimes, like this, it is more of "gee I want to see what this is all about."  She may opt to return in the spring but does not want to continue the commitment through the winter.

My wife was the chair of our church's Holiday Fair. A huge fundraiser for our church this was an enormous investment of time and energy on her party.  I sent out cards again this year!!! Last year I got so behind in things that I could not for hte life of me get them in the mail. This year, I did and I am so glad as there are many folks I don't connect with except annually with cards.

We saw a holiday play on the Friday after Thanksgiving as a family and have had Christmas movie nights together.  I managed to make the photo calendar for the grandparents and the shopping is nearly done.  We baked cookies and decorated.  Seasonal music has filled the house.  My wife made a super cool pallet snowman for part of our outside decorations. I love that he can easily stay up through January!!

My mom's partner has been very ill, hospitalized shortly after Thanksgiving for two weeks with pneumonia which came on suddenly and presently in a rehab facility.  There have been many phone calls and cards, emails and visits to lend what support we can.

This week things rachet up again with Thursday nights viewing of the new St*r W*rs movie.  Friday night Lissa is sleeping at her friends house. They want to give her their Christmas and birthday gifts for her then.  Saturday night Lissa and 3 friends are having a birthday sleepover here with much giggling, crafts and chaos.  Sunday is Vespers at church and KC is a narrator and Elisabeth is a "head sheep."  By Monday I will be tired but my vacation is on the horizon as it starts on Friday the 22nd.

And in the midst of all this fun and memory making Lissa KC and Chet have all been passing back and forth this respiratory plague amongst themselves.  I have a touch of it but seem to be holding it at bay with the regular use of Thieves Oil in our infuser in our work room.  I am in here a good 4 hours each night so I think it is helping.


Because life is always full of surprises, I also had one at work last week.  My boss of 6 years has accepted another position at a new site starting sometime in January.  This means the managership of the site I have worked at lo these many years is again open.

I have always wanted to manage this site.  I applied with my new company six years ago when my other boss was forced out.  I was not interviewed and told by uppper management that my skill set was not sufficient.  I am pretty sure that there were concerns about my competance and honesty as those were deficits in my prior boss.  Kind of tarred with the same brush so to speak.  But I have had 6 years with them since then.  I have received an award.  I have learned new skills. My integrity is defintely no longer a question in anyone's mind. I have done a lot that hopefully will show them I am the right person for the job.  I want it very very much.   But I also refuse to let this wreck my life.  Last time, I was depressed for weeks after their decision.  This time, I go into the situation with optimism and confidence in my abilities, but also the awareness that this company does not define me.  If they don't want me as a manager of this site, I have other options.  I have been taking courses in property management.  I will complete my certifications so that I have the creds to go along with the many years of experience.  And when my kids are a bit older, I will be able to interview at other properties that are further away from my home.  Right now, I need a closer home base so that I can do car pools and be available.  But at 11 and 13, I know that the time is fast approaching when they will have more independance.  Maybe it is that knowledge that helps buoy me this time.




No comments: