Monday, September 13, 2021

Build a wall and a shower will come!

 Saturday E came over to help with more bathroom tutoring.  While I had hoped for installation of the bathroom sink, he patiently explained why this was not next on the list.  It makes sense, but I was still a teensy bit sad.  However, he explained that when you do a big job like this you work from the top down.  We have framed our new ceiling all ready. But we still have to do that electrical and the new exhaust fan for the bathroom. We have a wall for the shower to build. We needed to finish a bit of plumbing repair to the work done for the toilet trap and we needed to reroute the electrical for the washer and dryer so that the aforementioned wall could be built.



So this was the first order of business after the trip to not one but two big box stores trying to get needed supplies.  We re routed the electrical for our washer and dryer and after the wall was built secured our electrical cables neatly and safely on a 2 x 4.

E is a great teacher and I have learned about grounds and the correct gauge for outlets vs switches and various other cool things.

These are 220 outlets though as they are dedicated to the machines.




This is the wall we built.  Now I realize that it is ia SMALL wall and not probably all that exciting to look at. But will you for the love of all that is holy just oooh and aaaah a bit here!   Why?  Becasue this wall represents the needed third wall which will support our shower!!!  We are getting closer friends!  As close as I wish we were?  Heck no, but doing things right, especially when you can only do it on weekends, is going to take time.  

This is the drain hole for where the shower pan will go.  There is no plumbing there yet but I would imagine that we will hook it up around the same time we do the sink.  There is stuff to do before we can install the shower.  My floor slopes significantly so I need to level it with concrete.  I need to then install my vapor barrier because the shower walls install direct to the studs.I need to put two plywood blocks on the new wall.  One will hold the shower temptrol. The other will hold the shower head and the handheld shower that attaches to it.


I also ordered the lights for the bathroom.  I am going with 4 recessed canless lights that have a dimmable feature down to 10% and a night light feature.  Both of those things sound cool but not as cool as the fact that we will have a light directly over the shower and for the first time in my life I will be able to see when I shave.  LOL


This coming Saturday we are going to go paint my mom's study for her so no bathroom work or very minimal bathroom work will occur.

No comments: