Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Best Laid Plans. . .

 Life loves to throw curve balls at us weekend warriors!  Last weekend we had great plans.  We were going to install a board in our kitchen that finishes the little pantry area, caulk and paint it. We were going to install the window sill in the bathroom and caulk and paint. We were going to do tile work in the bathroom.  We  were going to install and paint the header board for the barn door we are going to build for the closet. We were going to have my wife's birthday party.   Alas. . . real life in the form of a severe stomach bug claimed the weekend.  

My wife woke on early Saturday morning violently ill.  She was so sick she was unable to do the dog sitting gig she had agreed to do so I had to fill in for that.  She was so sick she could not do her regular weekend cleaning gig and I had to do that as well.  In between times, I was trying to take care of her.  By Sunday she needed a trip to urgent care and eventually to the ER for fluids.

In short, aside from about 10 peaceful minutes sanding a reclaimed board that I want to use for the window sill, there was exactly zero reno work done.  There was no birthday party.  There was just a very ill wife and a slightly crazed spouse.  I am not a good nurse.  Part of that is because on those occasions when I am sick, I just want you to leave me alone. I figure I'll get better real quick with rest and people popping in going "how are you" when you are dozing off drive.me.nuts.  My wife wants you popping in and balancing that with taking care of all her contracts, and ultimately getting her more sophisticated care pretty much stressed me out.  Sunday my son even bought me supper because he said I was a rock star and running ragged.  Love that boy!

This past weekend she was better but truthfully she was still building her strength back.  So we made it a punch list weekend and I am glad we did.  One of the things that annoys me is when people do a big job but they leave that little finishing touch undone.  The base board not attached or painted.  The caulking not done.  Little things.  My father was famous for leaving those things undone.  I don't know if there were so many things claiming his attention he lost track or if they did not matter to him.  They matter to me and thankfully, they also matter to my wife.

We put the trim around the backsplash in the kitchen.  The board that finishes the entryway to the kitchen alleyway was installed, caulked and painted. The new header board for our closet barn door was installed and painted.  The bathroom window was trimmed out, caulked and painted. We started installing drywall around the shower wall area. We installed the trim in the closet in the bathroom.  Little things that make a boatload of difference in eye appeal.  My father in law and sister in law stopped by Monday and when they walked in, they could not believe the difference.  I texted a picture of the backsplash all finished to the corian guy who helped us cut the counter when we began the kitchen reno.  I figured he saw us looking like we were destroying the kitchen. He ought to see it looking the way it does now.  Still not fully finished, but way more pulled together.  He texted back on how nice it looked and that it looked "expensive."  High praise from a counter pro.  I really want the things we do to not look like a homeowner just tried to make something.  Hence so much research IRL with friends and on Youtube with a number of renovation people who make videos that help me puzzle things out well.

We also bought the subway tile and hopefully this weekend we may have time to tile the walls above the shower installation.  Definately progress!



 


No comments: