Saturday, April 4, 2020

KC is nearly 16


This guy is almost 16 and the party planning has had to be severely adapted.  This was the year he was going to have the "big friend party"  Either a restaurant gathering or a big gathering in the back yard with a lot of catered food, a bonfire and musical theater karaoke.  Except of course, we can't  He is good about the family birthday party and we will find ways to make his day feel special and for him to be enfolded in our love.

What is tearing him up though is the lack of dance.  This picture was from last years recital. It was his lyrical dance which was one of my favorites.  This year I don't even know if there will be  a recital, and this year he earned the lead in the production. Costumes were chosen and purchased.  It is a disaster.  Is it as bad as being hospitalized with Covid?  Of course not, and I am grateful beyond measure that thus far we all remain healthy as do my extended family.

But it is huge for him and for all the other dancers.  For KC this is literally what he wants to do for his career.  And at the moment everything that has meaning to him is on pause.  16 is a hard time to press pause.  Your life is just launching in so many ways. We await a newsletter from the dance school that will let us know the direction that they are taking with regard to recital.  I have my fingers crossed but I know he is very worried.

K and I asked him to choreograph short dances for he and his sister and perform them for us last night.  He complained.  Not much room to dance (true) But mostly I think it was the depression.  We insisted and they did the dances last night and I could see how much it lifted his spirit.  He becomes one with the music when he dances and all his feelings just poured out.

Today, shopping with a mask on and maintaining social distance I found myself silently invoking the goddess for our families continued safety.  I do believe we will come out of this okay--I am an optimist by nature.  But the worry is there.  Such is life in the time of Covid.

No comments: