Thursday, March 5, 2015

Comical transport

The hard winter we have endured in the Northeast has made life more challenging for all.  I have a roof over my head, a relatively warm house (we won't talk about the morning the dogs water dish had a skim of ice in the kitchen) and food to eat.  Many don't and for them, this winter has been something I can't even wrap my head fully around.

This does not mean I don't feel like whining sometimes.  Everything is just harder when there are snowbanks over 6 feet high and ice dams and roofs to shovel.  The winter has impacted our aging commuter rail badly as well and Rob's trips in and out of school have been far longer than usual.  I used to pick him up at 6:15 and now with the train on "recovery" schedule he is usually not home till 7:30.  Hard on him, hard on the little kids who have to stay up longer so we can drive to the station to get him.

The other night though we had a bit of comic relief.  It was snowing--what a surprise! And visibility was poor.  I could not park inside the train station to wait for him so I parked across the street and texted him my location for when the train came in.  Then the kids and I just chilled in the car as we are really used to this drill.  I checked work messages, they read books or doodled etc.  Suddenly the back door opened.

I turned around to say "Hi Honey" only to see a young fellow I have never seen before.  We stared at each other for a minute and then he said "Uber?"  I look at him blankly.  He repeats it.  I said, "I'm sorry, I'm here to pick up my son from the train. We are not the Ubers."  Fellow apologizes, closes the door and walks to the next car.

It wasn't till I got home and told my wife that she told me about Uber car service that is trying to break into our area apparently.  Yeah.  "We're not the Ubers."

No comments: