Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 11th

I have been computerless for more than a week now which is why I am conspicuously absent from blog land lately.  I do miss it but it is hard for me to use my wife's notebook--the time that she typically gets up in the a.m. I have moved on to feeding the troops and thus the moment for blogging is gone. At night she goes up to bed early, taking her notebook with her as she plays music on the computer while going to sleep.

But today we are not yet out the door for church so I can write.  And because it is September 11th, I don't feel like I can write about camping--or my birthday--or starting another year of homeschooling.  I can't write about work angst.  Because it all seems trivial on this particular day.

September 11th is forever in the psyche of America.  We were invincible and inviolate on our home soil till then.  But after that day, we were as vulnerable as many of our global neighbors.  And for the first time, we felt a level of fear and vulnerability.

So much so that as a country we were sadly eager to give up some rights that I hold above safety--but I feel like today is not the right day for that post either.  It is a day of remembrance.  Of those who gave all,  Of remembrance for families torn apart who have spent ten years knitting themselves new lives.Yet the weaving will always have a hole from the loss of that day.

And on this day of profound loss, there were also new beginnings.  Babies were born on this day.  Babies were created on this day.  Our homestudy for Robbie Fiona and Krystal began 10 years ago this day.  Our home inspection was abbrevieated because our social worker had a brother in NY and when the news came out, he wanted to find out if he was OK. (thankfully he was)

I will meditate today, and I will mourn and honor those lives cut short, but I also celebrate the lives of the children who came home to us and who are so deeply in my heart and soul that I can not imagine life without them.

No comments: