Sunday, September 18, 2011

Beach Camping Blessings

I hope I don't forget to come up with a title for this post.  I need something clever and brief. . . I am back from camping with friends from church. Well, from our church, and two other churches on the beautiful coast of Maine. The kids and i go every year.  It is sooooo much fun.  People can't believe that I find it relaxing, because I am alone, keeping tabs on 4 kids.  They keep checking in. Do I need a break?  Um. no.  I am sitting in the sun sipping coffee and watching the ocean while my kids and 6 others make sandcastle. This is so not hard, guys! LOL  Don't get me wrong, the offer was sweet, just I was so mellow and laid back.  In other  years, you also had to be part of a cooking team for one meal during this weekend. That invoked more stress as figuring out how to do my kitchen chores and keep an eye on all the kids was logistically interesting.  But it always got done and now, the conference center hires out the cooking, so I just sit and veg. 

Actually I probably walk 5 or6 miles each day, along the beach, between the buildings and the campground which is located some distance away, between the playground and the bathrooms, but it is still a different tempo from the hectic multi-tasking of my usual life. 

And people had such nice things to say about my kids.  Chet loves to help people unload their cars and bring their belongings to the dorm rooms. (dorms are available but it is much  more expensive and would not work for Chet who is stimulated by the noise of anyone going down the hall) He has done the unloading gig for so many years now that people actually look for him and are happy he is there to be of assistance.  He feels very important and I had several people mention to me how much they appreciated this. 

The lovely couple who did the teen choir last year also had great things to say about my Rob.  They spoke to how hard they felt Rob worked learning to sing out and that he had such a seriousness and intensity about his music. Since I know the original cachet of choir was strictly a young teen girl, I am pleased that it was also a place where quite literally, my quiet son may have found his voice.

My two littles played well with so many kids. I know the re-adjustment tomorrow of not having so many playmates will be a bit of a let down. Hopefully the routine of homeschool and me leaving for work will center them. They are exhausted, put to bed early tonight after late nights of bonfires and flashlight games on the playground.

My wife enjoyed the quiet of our home while we were gone.  She probably realized just how much she enjoyed it when we came back, cause it sure wasn't quiet anymore!  I love quiet moments, like when we stopped on the playground and looked at the moon last night.  Or when we were cuddling in our very chilly tent (thankfully we were all warm enough!) But mostly, I love the chatter and clatter of a larger sized family with busy lives. I'd go bonkers here at home alone for a whole weekend!

No comments: