Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Blink of An Eye

Claudia wrote a really insightful post about residential treatment.  It is a subject that is often in my mind and heart because of Fiona.  I need to write something about that.  But not tonight.  Tonight I am also feeling amazed by time.  How fast it passes.  Developmental milestones are certainly noticed in our family.  But sometimes, I guess, things blur a bit.

The unseasonably warm March weather has meant that we have returned to our evenings of playing together at local parks a few weeks sooner than usual.  Last night the kids rode their bicycles up to the park, where we played our version of whiffle ball and Mother May I, and did tricks jumping off of the swings.

I was struck by how it seems just yesterday that I was carrying Lissa up to the park in my sling, holding KC's hand as he toddled along beside me.  Or pulling the two of them in our wagon because they were always too tired from playing afterwards to get home?    Now I watch KC emulating big bro Rob, with his ball cap on backwards and a back pack full of toys on his back as he peddles furiously toward his goal.  And Lissa riding proudly and carefully not far behind on her first two wheeled "big girl" bike.  I watch Rob, playing with kindness and love with the littles, but eager to go off with friends for an hour or so of time on his own, when our park time is done. 

The next blink of an eye may well be Rob--he is on the cusp of young adulthood and I know opportunities and challenges await him.  I am excited for him and to see what the future holds for all my brood. But I want to make lots of memories together.  And keep my eyes wide open.

No comments: