Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Complaining about rain again!

Skip this post if you live where it is sunny. Where it is warm. Both of which it normally is in my part of the country at this time of year. Only this June has had more below average temps than many others and far fewer days of sun. Like maybe 4 days of sun with no rain at all any time in the day. It poured again yesterday. Pounding rain with gusty winds. Not fun. It is cloudy though not raining now. Sigh. I am grateful that our bright yellow stella d'oro lillies are blooming. We have a good sized stand in the back yard that are not blooming yet but the ones K transplanted to our front garden are in bloom. They must like exhaust fumes from the street cause it sure isn't the sun! I also splurged and bought a bright yellow hibisicis plant and it is in a lovely blue earthen pot by our front door. I have had the pot for a long time and have never found the right plant for it. I tried begonias and they looked OK but not what I wanted. The hibiscis is gorgeous. I smile every day as I walk past it----even when it is raining.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been good about only putting perennials in the ground, but I definitely believe in potted annuals for their mental health benefits. (And I'm willing to waffle on things like coleus, which I planted because I love the colors and I'm pretending I'll keep via cuttings all winter, even though not all 4 plants may survive it.) I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks about things like this. And I hope things clear up for you soon!

Anonymous said...

We are stuck in that same weather pattern. My boys (12, 9 & 7 years old) are getting a bit tired of the cool and rainy - they want to swim in the pool and ride bikes and go to the beach. Our vegetable garden is all undersized, except the lettuce which has been growing like gangbusters. We'll see what kind of harvest we manage this year. This weekends forecast looks a bit better - I've got my fingers crossed that we'll finally see the sun here.
Julie