Monday, June 22, 2009

Ooma's Day

Mothers Day is Kirsty's special day. There is always another day that is "Ooma's day," so that I get a chance to be pampered, honored and such. When Chet was little, he always wanted this on Fathers Day. I think he felt good about having a card to make for a parent when he was in public school. They would always make Fathers Day cards in art class in the early years and I think just making the card and having a parent to make it for, was important to him. So for many years, that was "my day" and I was cool with that.

Then we adopted Rob and it wasn't OK with Rob. He was very clear that I wasn't a dad and this felt weird to him. I am also OK with that. I am not trying to be Dad to anyone. However I didn't want to try and celebrate it on Mothers Day--neither K or I would get that chance to kick back and feel special if that happened. So we made "Ooma's day" on a different day and it sort of floated around, usually the week after Fathers Day or there abouts. And that was fine for a few years.

This year, everyone surprised me with Ooma's Day being back on Fathers Day. I was even more surprised when K told me that it was primarily Rob who was driving that. I think perhaps it was because he leaves for camp next Saturday and then comes back the 4th of July so it would be a loooooong time before we had a weekend free to have any time to honor Ooma. But whatever the reason, I am glad he cared. I am glad that the named day of a holiday is less significant to him than joyfully celebrating the love we have as a family.

And it was a fun day. KC of course was inside out. He continually amazes me because he is always the first one to say "happy birthday" or in this case, "happy Ooma's day" when he wakens. All my other kids have to be reminded. Then it is like the switch clicks and they go "oh yeah! " and they are all about the celebration.

So he greeted me first thing, then I asked if I was supposed to go downstairs or not. It was nearly 7 and I am usually up by 6:15 so I was pretty hungry. No, he told me. It was a surprise, kind of like what we do for mom and he would go and check. So off he went. (all other kids still in bed at this point!!!) Next thing I knew, he was back with a bouquet of flowers from our garden and K was right behind him with fresh muffins and tea. All of which I could eat while she breakfasted the rest of the troops. Such decadence! Such luxury! Usually I choke down a piece of toast in record time so that I can run and email my mom before getting breakfast for the hordes.

After breakfast, they had cards for me and a gift card to Payless Shoes. I am a shoe addict! I adore shoes. I also have the most ordinary feet in the world. Size 7 1/2 B I have the "industry standard" for shoes. And all the years of dancing turned my feet into iron and I can wear virtually anything. So now I have a gift card that will allow me to support my addiction. Oh and soap! KC made me soap. I love the soaps he makes. They are from some kit he and K found and they are sooooo pretty. And the soap is glycerine based I think so it is super soft on your skin. I feel very loved.

1 comment:

Todd said...

Glad you're Ooma's day was a great one! *smootches*