Friday, June 12, 2009

Let the sun shine!

OK I so know that i could never live in Seattle. Or the rain forest. OTOH I could probably live happily in AZ where they have something like 355 sunny days. I need sun. Deep down totally need it. Without it my normally cheerful demeanor begins to wilt To mold. I gradually turn into a nasty person even I don't want to be around. And since I can't not be around myself, I consider that a real problem.

It has rained and been cloudy since last Sunday. I am so done with this. I have been trying so hard to make the best of it. Despite the yucky weather (and it has also been unseasonably cold as well) I have taken the kids out to play every night but one. (that night was pouring) It has served to tire them out, but I notice that they are not their normal happy little selves really. I think they are feeling wilty from lack of sun as well.

Tonight we went to a friends house for a much anticipated play date. These are friends we made at the park and they recently moved into a lovely new home. We have been trying to get together at their new home to play but a myriad of issues prevented it till tonight. The kids had fun, the house is lovely, but it was exhausting. Being in someone else's home with 3 kids and a house that is not baby proofed the same way mine is, stresses me out. Everyone's 2 year old is different. I know the 2 year old we were playing with who lives there is not nearly the dare devil that my Lissa is. The fact that there was free access to 2 stories of stairs gave me the willies. Hardwood stairs. The pool is unfenced at present, though that is going to change soon. It is covered with a cover that is supposed to be child proof. Do you really think I trust that? I'd like to but the reality is I was a life guard all through high school. I know how easy it is for someone to drown. And due to all our rain there was 3 inches of water ON TOP of the supposedly child proof cover. That, my friends, is deep enough to drown.

Then of course, getting the kids to leave was a challenge. Lissa did her ear shattering scream all the way home. She was over tired and over stimulated. I all ready had my monthly migraine. She sent it into the stratosphere. But in all reality it was not her fault. We were much later coming home than when we simply go to the park. And our park visit has a routine that is rarely altered much. A certain way we walk there, certain toys we bring, a certain song we sing when we leave and come home, a snack time . . . what can I say my kids like routine. I am glad we went, it was fun in its way, but I was even more glad to get home and get them bathed and a bed.

Tomorrow will be a busy day. Kirsty's sister is spending the day and in the evening I am taking all the kids to a concert and fireworks. I am a glutton for punishment.

1 comment:

Todd said...

Visits to even the best of friend's houses is stressful. Glad you got out undamaged, 'cept for the achey head :-( Have fun at the concert.