Sunday, June 28, 2009

Finding Dee

I think I wrote last September sometime about having a visit with Rob's bio brother Dee. He was adopted out of the sibling group before we ever met Rob, and lived with a paternal aunt. We only had one visit with him when a cousin from the other side of the family hosted him at her home for the weekend. Then they left the country and we did not hear from the family who adopted Dee again. Sadly he is again in the "system" through no fault of his own. We were contacted by a social worker last fall whose job was to help kids in foster care find family members that they have lost touch with through their multiple placements. We were very open to contact with Dee and wrote to him and sent pictures. Told the sw we were totally cool with visitation if transport could be arranged.

Dee is a really neat kid. He and I found a lot of common ground as he is a dancer. I come from a dance background and conversation was easier than I expected because of that common ground. We love the same dance show, we talked about who we were rooting for and why etc. The social worker agreed to bring him to our home for a visit. He lives a long way from us and I am so directionally impaired and so afraid to drive in a REALLY big city that this was necessary.

The visit went great. He and Rob were a bit awkward; it has been literally years since they saw each other. He enjoyed looking at Robbie's scrapbooks and catching up on what his brother has done via pictures and my captions. He liked KC and Elisabeth; the social worker liked me.

But she was not "the" social worker. As in the permanent person assigned to Dee. So once she had facilitated a visit and processed it with Dee (learning from him that he enjoyed himself and would like more contact) her job was to give this information to another person. That social worker was supposed to meet via phone or in person with both me and the foster family and work out a visitation plan. Which never happened.

I didn't know who to call. I am not even sure which DSS office has Dee's case. However, remember me joining Facebook? It occured to me the other night that i could maybe find him via Facebook! And I did. I sent him an email. I hope he writes back.

No comments: