Sunday, January 1, 2012

Holding Family Close

We have been blessed with a rare gift this January.  Temperatures today are in the 50's.  Tomorrow it will be in the teens.  Only in New England, I guess. But for today, we are revelling in the unexpected, most unusual warmth. We went for a New Years Day walk and when we came home, we took down our outdoor decorations.  Why wait till fingers and noses get numb with the cold to do it?  We really need to take down our tree but the littles negotiated one more day.  They have really enjoyed the tree this year and KC said he has to take lots more pictures of it before we can take it down.  We had a lot of stories before bed sitting or actually sprawling, on blankets in front of the tree this year.  Part of me is loathe to put it away as well, those memories are still so shining and special.

I always feel blessed  to have my family, but at this moment in time, more so.  Dear friends of mine far away in TX are facing the unspeakable tragedy of a beloved wife and mother dying far too soon and very unexpectedly.  The fact that they just moved to the state makes it all the harder.  There is nothing we can do and those of us who are their friends can only send emails of hugs and energies.  But as one of us said when I bemoaned the distance and lack of ability to do something concrete--we can do something. We can remember to hold our one loved ones a bit more tightly, to be a bit more patient, and to live each day as fully as we can.  In some ways that feels trite. In some ways, that feels comforting.  I know the wheel turns as it will, but I am a 'fixer' by nature. And not being able to 'fix' something always grates on me. But for today, I am holding my loved ones close and holding my friends close in my heart. 

No comments: