Sunday, January 8, 2012

Fiona Self Advocates

Last night  I got another email from Jane.  She wanted me to know that she had received instructions from Fiona to ask her DCF social worker to "be more strict" with her birth family.  Fiona said it hurts her when they don't follow through. This is a huge step for my duaghter who is pretty much perpetually conflicted with regards to her first family.  I am so sad they put her in this position so regularly.  But I am so heartened that she has come to this on her own.  It is important her her mental health to know who she can count on in her life.  I think that her family members probably have lots of issues and demons they struggle iwth.  I think too that they feel that there is nothing wrong with Fiona and that requests for consistancy are just roadblocks being put up by "the system."  Knowing Fiona over the past 10 years, I feel pretty confident saying that these are not unreasonable requests.  If someone told me they were coming to visit and then did not show up and did not call, I would be pretty angry too.  For Fiona, the anger and sadness these incidents cause is very difficult for her to manage.  I hope DCF hears this for the honest request for help that my daughter is asking for.  And I hope her family hears what she needs and can get their acts together.

No comments: