Friday, October 3, 2014

Still friends

A couple of weeks ago T, Rob's longtime girlfriend told him they needed to "take a break." There has been a lot of stress in her life and I understood.  So did Rob, but I did fret for my guy. T was his first love, and they were together over 2 1/2 years.  He gives his heart fully and he also is not the most communicative of my children. In some respects, "taking a break" coupled with the demands of college would either be a very good thing or a very bad thing.
So I watched for signs of depression, or some type of abnormal behavior.  Thankfully, Rob was just Rob. LOL  I know, you don't have to tell me that sometimes I over think things.

Last night the phone rang and it was T.  She and Rob talked for a long time.  When the phone was no longer in use, I went out to the kitchen and made myself a cup of tea. Then I walked back to our work room via the living room where Rob was.  He kind of laughed when he saw me.  If you saw the configuration of our home's floor plan you would understand this was far from a direct route to where I needed to go.

    "You know I'm nosy, " I said, grinning.  "So how's T doing?"
    "She's good, " he answered, still kind of laughing at me.
    "And you guys?" I asked.
    "We've decided to just be friends," he answered
    "And you're okay with things?"  Clearly, I can't stop myself from probing.
    "Yup,"  (I did say he is a man of few words)

By this time, we were both laughing.  I have given thought to this incident  because some people might say I should not have pried.  Part of ME even wasn't sure if I should.  But I think sometimes teens, or at least MY teens, need me to say hey, I care, and I want to know what you are willing to share with me.

They don't automatically remember.  And privacy in general seems to be less of an issue for a young population that post on facebook, instagram twitter and such.  So I am willing to take the risk of being labelled as nosy if the end result is that my kids always know that I care. And that they can tell me how they feel in as many or as few words as they feel they need.

No comments: