Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Justice for Traevon

Today, I read that George Zimmerman will at last face charges.  A man kills a young boy and it takes weeks for the wheels of justice to turn. At least it does if you are a young black man.  The ensuing character assasination that took place against Traevon made me cringe.  We all know that kids do stupid things.  Whatever he got suspended from school for had nothing to do with being killed walking on a city street.  Unarmed on a city street.

What happened to Traevon is in my mind when I let Rob go off to hang out at the park with friends.  I can't put him in a bubble.  I can teach him to try and be smart in his choices, but I know that the same thing said/done by a white kid will not end the same way for my handsome dark skinned son.  And I worry. 

We have so far to go.  This is only a small first step in a long march.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.