Friday, April 6, 2012

Shopping with Rob

A week or ten days ago, I asked Rob if he wanted to get "fancy" clothes for Easter. He has always wanted to dress up in the past but now I live with a teen who wears skinny jeans, thinks belts should be worn BELOW the belt loops and ones boxers are an um fashion statement! LOL  So I wasn't surprised when he said no, and chose to order a buffalo plaid shirt that was festive only because it was yellow and black.  However this order on the internet appears to be coming rather literally on the slow boat from China and not likely to arrive in time for Sunday. So when KC's suit arrived on Thursday night, Rob finally realized. . . that he wanted a stylish look too. He watched KC strutting around in the suit and fedora, took me aside and said quietly "I want to look kind of like that."  So off we went to his favorite retailer. The one with the red star for those who shop with teen boys and truly want to know! LOL

We took the escalator to the mens dept. I asked Rob if he had a color in mind for his outfit.  He nodded affirmatively.  "Orange, " he announced.  Um, orange?  I explain that this is not really that Easter/spring kind of color.  But gamely I find a selection of orange ties and show him.  I suggest that perhaps one of these strikes his fancy and he can build the outfit around that pop of color.  I give myself points for creativity.

And watch my teen pick out a lime green bow tie.  Yes, really bright, really shiny lime green bow tie.  Hmmmm.  I ask what color shirt he envisions with this.  Purple, he immediately responds.  I bite my tongue before I can blurt out, "so you want to look like a contusion?" and help him find a purple shirt.  It meets with approval and we are on a roll, charging into the pants department where he finds a pair of sleek black pants and a black vest.  I figure we are done and start pep stepping to the checkout (have I ever mentioned that I loathe shopping?)  Rob pulls me up short with "But I still need a new hat."  OK, we are led to the fedoras.  He peruses them carefully and finally selects a gray one.

"Gray?" I ask feebley.  (wondering as I hear the words coming out of my mouth WHY I feel compelled to even say this. . . )  "But honey you have a lot of colors going on and no other gray.  Do you think you should change up your pants for gray?" He agrees. 

Back to the pants department where 20 minutes later we  unearth the one pair of 30/30 gray slacks in the entire dept. 

The best part for me was checking out.  (at so many levels because as i have all ready mentioned I despise shopping)  But our clerk was an older woman and she looked at me, there with 2 of my handsome young sons who look nothing like me.  And all she saw was a family.  She commented on how handsome my son would look in what he had chosen.  I said yes, and that all my kids now had their Easter outfits, though I had yet to get myself anything new.

"That's the way we moms are, " she answered smiling.  "And we like it that way."  She's right

No comments: