Saturday, June 28, 2014

In praise of all things summer!

I love summer so.  It is chock a block full of fun stuff.  I will grant you that small things are really cool and fun to me (and usually my kids as well.)  I look forward to this time of year all through the cold long winter.  The longer day light hours have meant time for bike rides to the park to play.  They have meant later bed hours and more stories.  Blowing bubbles on the porch in the twilight. Fireworks. The start of summer book club at the library.  Walking downtown for a slushy. Being able to bike to the library instead of having to always drive. In warm weather my energy is always at its highest.  Not that I am a slug in the cold weather but I am usually pushing myself as physically, it drains me.

Next week is the fourth of July and we are having our usual BBQ  The kids god parents, our dear friends always come over.  So do the folks who live next door.  This year more friends are coming as well--the family who we camped with over Memorial Day weekend.  Fiona will be here as well.  It will be fun.  It will be rowdy.  It will be a bit messy.  And I will love every minute of it.

My wife is being a very good sport about this.  In a classic case of opposites attracting, I am an extrovert.  I am that person who hates to be totally silent.  Who loves to meet new people.  Who thinks that a gathering of 10 or 12  additional folks is a small thing and that making decorations is a blast. I love planning out the food and all the little details that go into making sure people have fun when they gather.  My wife?  2 is a crowd and more than that makes her want a nap!  In fact she has been known to leave a gathering for a nap!  LOL

So I have that on the front burner at the moment, and today I hauled out our 4th of July decorations and the kids and I bought paper goods when we went shopping.  We got plain white table cloths and the kids are going to take some silver sticky paper that I have and make silver stars to fasten all over it. Then KC sees himself completing the effect by drawing fireworks.  We will see. . .


No comments: