Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The List!

Keeping our old victorian house in good repair is a constant work in progress. As our family has grown, my expectations of good repair have also had to readjust. But some things just need doing, larger sized family or no. So this past weekend, one evening I made an inventory of all jobs large and small that we could try to work on over the summer. I think the two largest repairs are putting on a new back storm door (which we did once many years ago so we should clearly be able to accomplish again) and replacing the ceiling tiles in our kitchen. Our present ones are for some reason bowing ominiously. They have been for a few years. They are not getting worse but they are certainly decidedly unattractive and not the most cheerful of conversation starters when someone comes over. There was not a leak so I don't know why they are bowing. My guess is improper installation. In my organized virgo way, I have been researching how to install said tiles. You are supposed to staple them to furring strips. My guess is that part way through the installer decided he didn't need to staple every one and over time, they have begun to loosen from one another.

This will be a big job. Our kitchen is about 15 x 15. Kirsty is not enthusiastic about this but I am spinning it that we will have this cool new skill under our belts. She might be better about the idea now. The day I initially told her she was in recovery from replacing 7 boards on our deck! Timing is not always my strong suit. LOL My boss recently told me I will have an extra day off as a reward for a project well done. I am going to posit to her that we have a long weekend this summer devoted to the ceiling. That gives me time to freeze up some meals as one yucky thing I remember about this job was our lack of ability to use the kitchen as a cooking area. She will remind me about the demands of our vegetable garden, our camping trips, and the other 20 or so things on the "list" from H*ll that I created. But I will prevail. I hope. and if we get the ceiling up, I will post a celebratory pic of its new found glory!

No comments: