Monday, May 11, 2009

Of texting and common sense

There was recently a horrible crash of two subway trains in the big city. The trains that crashed were on the line that we travelled to my corporate company outing. It wasn't failed brakes, or a light that turned green when it should have been read. No, instead the operator of the train that rear ended the train in front of it didn't see the train. He was texting his girl friend.

Yup. Texting. As in looking at a screen instead of the train tracks. I can't fathom this. I know I love to read blogs, to keep in contact via the net with friends near and far. To email my mother instead of writing letters or running up my phone bill. But if I owned a cell phone (which I don't) I would not use it when I was driving. I won't even EAT when I am driving for crying out loud. Part of this may be that the majority of my driving is in a car that is standard, but it also just makes sense to me to concentrate on the road and the other idiots--I mean, drivers on the roads. So if I can figure this out in my little car, how can the driver of a big subway train not get it?

1 comment:

Jo said...

We had someone here in Utah that actually KILLED someone because they were driving while texting. I do NOT get it. I am with you. Driving needs to be the only thing you are doing.