Friday, May 29, 2009

Rob is almost a teen

Rob's birthday is June 2nd. That means in a few short days, he will be (gulp) a teenager. Right now this nearly teen thing is sitting awkwardly with him. There is a part of him that most decidedly does not want to give up "kid" stuff and another part of him that is increasingly interested in more teen type pursuits. I find it odd that the same child who likes to watch Dragon Tales with the toddlers, is laughing appreciatively over the fumbling romantic advances in the Harry Potter book we are reading together. (The Half Blood Prince) I've noted Rob's increased interest in the opposite sex and thus I was fairly shocked when I asked what he wanted to do for his birthday. He wanted a family party with a Star Wars theme! LOL OK so, you got it!

Tonight after work I took Chet, Lissa and KC out to buy his gifts from them and decorations and other party "essentials." Chet got him a digital camera to replace the one he lost at camp last summer. Hopefully this one will have a happier fate! KC wanted to get him a baseball style cap with the Patriots logo on it, got that, and Lissa was noncommital. At 2 she is more into sweeping the shelves clear of merchandise, so she settled for Nike socks. Sounds lame but the thing is, Rob is very label conscious. I am not. I am about the best bang for the buck. Which means no name tube sox unless it is a gift. Then, he can get his beloved Nikes. He will be thrilled. We got little Star Wars action figures to decorate the top of the cake. We went to iparty and got star wars streamers and plates and napkins. KC was afraid of one of the scenes on the large plates and said he hoped we wouldn't get that one because he would be too scared to come to the party! Opted for a totally different plate and I know Rob will find that story so funny that it won't matter. KC was dancing around the store with such enthusiasm that everyone there thought we were getting things for HIS party. People asked me when his birthday was and how old he was going to be. I explained he had all ready had his day, he was pumped for his big brother. I love that. I hope my kids are always ready to celebrate with and for each other. That is the best kind of gift.

1 comment:

Todd said...

That really is cool he is so pumped for his brother. Love it!