Friday, May 29, 2009

No Visitors!

Well we have gone from a visit with Kirsty's sister happening this weekend and my mom crashing it (laughing) to no one coming. Mom wisely decided she needed to stay in her state. I sort of get that she may be feeling the need for some "her" time as the care of her husband is very emotionally demanding and taxing. But every time she has been here, something has gone awry at the nursing home---and this was before the more recent terminal diagnosis. I know this is her birthday weekend, but there will be many more times for us to get together with her. He even arranged for her to get flowers today which made me all sniffly when she told me. My mom is in many ways a high maintenance woman. Not financially, but I think mostly emotionally. I am not sure anyone has ever met the standards of what she needs emotionally. But the fact that he thought to have flowers ordered for her in the last months or weeks of his life, touched me deeply.

Kirsty's sister has a bad throat infection so she has rescheduled for June 13th. The kids were very bummed as they were thrilled to have "aunty" time ahead of them. At least it won't be long till we can see each other.

There is lots to do this weekend anyway. Sunday is our wrap up Sunday for the childrens program at church. As one of the new chairs of the Religious Education committee there are a few more responsibilities upon me than just showing up with all my kids! I had thank you notes to write, tomorrow I have gifts to purchase for people who have gone above and beyond for the program, and I need to bake something to bring to the picnic which happens afterwards. I found a new recipe for brownies. It incorporates raspberry preserves and white chocolate chips which sounds like it would be a nice combo. It would be something of a leap of faith to make it though as anything I make with chocolate i can not taste. I am allergic to chocolate and will be miserable for hours if I try to eat any. However I make what people assure me is a wicked good devils food cake so I am thinking I might just try this. I have this thing about trying new recipes. I get really bored doing the same old thing. So though I have a kabillion tried and true recipes, an event happens and I have to research and find something new to do. Plus the kids could help me make it and that is usually fun as well.

Then there is the food shopping and other sundry errands that need to happen of a Saturday. And it is supposed to be sunny at last after 4 days ---- 4 very loooooong days---of rain so I have to get some outside time in for the kids. It'll be fun. Somehow we will get it all done and it will be good.

No comments: