Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Robbie's Coming of Age Pt 2

Because I can't figure out how to add to a draft post I had to break this into installments! Probably just as well anyway. I knew the wkend was busy, but when I started writing it I wondered at how it all sort of fell together. Because there was so much. We live far enough from our church that it takes planning to get our tribe there early in the morning. Also KC can't eat the minute he gets up (unlike the rest of the kids who must see food heading their way within nanoseconds of rising) so we always have to factor in time to stop at Dunkin Donuts and get his bagel. We got to church and found that we had been assigned seats in the front pew directly behind the piano. Um, this was not exactly a primo location for keeping Lissa occupied for the service. She is used to being in the second or third pew where I can let her down on the floor between the pews and she colors or lies quietly etc. Also there were 3 families of coming of agers stuffed in the pews so it was crowded feeling as well. Ugh. However Rob got to sit next to the girl he is sort of interested in and that was nice. It was funny to watch them sort of nudge each other off and on during the service. Robbie's god parents came and I was so happy and grateful. Wendy had been out of state and came back specifically for the service and her husband Greg had committments at their church later in the day but made time to be there for his god son. It truly felt like we encircled Rob with love and hope on that day.

During the service there was a time when each family went up with their youth and handed a candle to them. The youth lit the candle and placed it on the altar and then left the parents to sit up on the dias. Also their mentor helped with the candle lighting. It was beautiful; far more beautiful than I am able to express in words. Rob looked so grown up sitting there. There was no deer in the head lights look. He seemed calm and confident and at ease. Despite the crowding, Elisabeth did well during the service, right up until the soprano soloist stood in front of us and hit a really high note. Then she screamed and put both fingers in her ears! (sigh) I love the song too. She was singing "Defying Gravity" from the musical Wicked and I adore that song. I guess Lissa doesn't share my joy in it though!

We didn't stay for fellowship afterwards. The hall was very crowded which is hard for Chet and also the volume of noise bothers KC as well. So we made our farewells and went home. Rob announced that he needed new sneakers and wanted them just like his g. friends. I told him I didn't know what kind she had. He sort of did the eye roll thing and said I had been sitting right next to her and didn't I notice? LOL First off, I wasn't sitting next to her, HE was, but secondly I was way not watching sneakers! But off we went to Sears to get him sneakers. KC had outgrown his too and i had been putting it off so I got his at the same time. Rob knew exactly which kind of sneakers his friend has so it was a quick choice. I love that. I am so not a dithery shopper. I am all about go in, buy it and get the heck home. I don't like to wander in stores, poke or meander hte mall. Uh uh, no way. KC found light up sneaks so he was thrilled.

We got home and about an hour later I had to take Rob back to church for the wrap up party. He had a blast. I had told him we could only stay till 4 (parents worked the kitchen etc) but a friend agreed to bring him home when it ended at 6:30 so he got the whole experience. I really really had to leave by 4 as we also had 5000 pieces of piece work to complete over the weekend and K was home alone with all the other kids.

Rob's mentor found me at the party and told me how much he has enjoyed getting to know our son. He has been asked to mentor 8 times and always said no until Robbie. I didn't know that and felt really honored. He had some great insights into Rob and how he has matured during this process. He could also see that Rob is a deep thinker and though he is not a talker, the core of him is strong and growing in positive ways.

And best of all, Robbie didn't have to leave at 4 after all as a friend offered to bring him back home so that I could come home and do the things I needed to attend to with/for the rest of the gang.

No comments: