Friday, August 21, 2009

Botox and Migraine relief?

I have pretty consistant migraines. Not as many as some people but between 2 and 3 monthly. They can last anwhere from 1 to 3 days. I have had them since I was 19. However I have never really done anything about them. I don't discuss it on the rare occasions when I visit my family Dr. I have zero interest in taking things like Imitrix. The drug and others like it have some pretty strong warnings about heart stuff. This was enough to make me "just say no" because heart disease runs on both sides of my family. I am not going to have a heart attack just so my head stops feeling like I should chop it off.

So for the most part, I have learned to live with this. I wear really dark sunglasses a lot. And I think the kids can tell when I sort of move more gingerly. I am a sort of high speed person so I think that there is a cautiousness in how I move when my head hurts that they pick up on. KC in particular seems able to tell without even asking me which is sort of wild.

I have done the non medical things that are supposed to help with mixed results. Getting rid of caffiene for a few years did nothing. Getting rid of dairy helped slightly but not enough to make me permanently sever my love affair with a dish of ice cream. Niacin didn't help at all. I am apparently unable to learn how to meditate (laughing). I have tried. I either fall asleep or start making "to do " lists in my mind.

But yesterday a resident where I work came in and was talking about the fantastic results she had for her migraines with botox injections. I have since been researching this on the net and it looks intriguing, though it of course doesn't work for everyone. And it is i think probably expensive. And the idea of botox creeps me out a bit. Hmmmm.. . .

6 comments:

Thorn said...

I used to get daily debilitating migraines when I was in high school, down to a few a month in college, and now they're pretty rare. In college when I had no health insurance, I could go to the campus health clinic and they'd give me a shot of Imitrex, which would make it feel like my heart was going to pound out of my chest and then I'd vomit and then usually my headache would go away, though I'd be pretty much hollow for the rest of the day.

It wasn't until much later that I learned that Imitrex is contraindicated for anyone with Raynaud's, which I think you have too, and I think that's why I had such drastic heart side effects. Just urging you to be extra careful with that class of drugs, because I learned the hard way.

I've heard good things about Botox. I'm not sick enough now to make it worth while, but I'd certainly be interested in hearing about it if you tried it!!

Lee said...

Yes I do have Reynauds as well. I didn't know Imitrix was contra-indicated for that as well! I knew about heart warnings though and with both my g. fathers dying of heart attacks and both my father and mother and sister having high cholesterol I am ultra careful. If I get brave enough to try it I'll be sure to let you know.

Anonymous said...

I have heard accupuncture helps. Natural. Also, I have heard that dried red hot chili peppers (eating them when the first symptoms show) help. I personally haven't tried either but I only get a migraine once every year or so.

Stacie Guesswork (aka Mrs Butter B) said...

FYI...I used to get very bad migraines- visual disturbances, etc. At one point, I had 9 in 7 days.

I have been migraine free for 2 years. I have never taken any meds for it (I do take a nasal inhaler for allergies). I'm like you- lots of genetic risk for heart problems/issues, so I avoid Imitrex.

How did my migraines stop? Well, I'd be lying if I didn't say the first thing- there was a lot of prayer being lifted up. God is good.

Also, I stopped eating anything with MSG (for a complete list of alternate names for msg go to graydovespinkflowers.blogspot.com and scroll down) and aspartame.

They've NEVER come back. Just a thought.

Lee said...

Oh Stacy you are a woman after my own heart. I was out ahead of you though and scoped your site really thoroughly for ideas some time ago! (grin) I actually am considered something of an oddity by most folks in our area. We make our own breads, we make our own soy milk, we are "from scratch cookers" and don't eat fast food. (the exception is that I do buy pizza for the kids from an awesome local pizza parlor.) I am definately MSG free because I have this phobia about eating things that i can't pronounce! I don't even mind the kids having sugar really, but high fructose corn syrup???? c'mon!

Lee said...

Acupuncture does have a certain interest to me as well! Plus I don't want to have a permanent smile or grimace just because I got rid of my migraines. Anyone remember the evil step mom in "A cindarella story?" LOL I eat so much chili peppers and tobasco sauce you'd think that would help, wouldn't you? I have no sense of smell so I love really really spicy food. A friend also said they swear by putting raw onions on their feet but my family were not too enthused about experimenting with that cure!