Monday, August 3, 2009

Slower Sunday

We needed a day to recharge after the drive and the service of Saturday. So I didn't really plan anything for Sunday. I vaguely hoped for a beach jaunt but the sun went in after 15 minutes never to be seen again, so that was out.

We drove to a town a few towns over to try to price pellet stoves. I had called their store and they opened at 10. Except that at 10 they were not open and there were no signs of life. At 10:15 there were still no more signs of life. Unless you count the wild life in my car--3 kids totally done with sitting doing nothing for 15 minutes! LOL We left.

On the way home we stopped at the farmers market where we used to pick up our CSA boxes in years past. We couldn't afford to do a CSA this year and I have felt terrible about it. I am as much of a locavore as i can be. I don't want to eat lettuce shipped in from Guatamala or something. But I didn't have the upfront money this year and while Curt's prices for CSA are very fair, I just couldn't do it.

On the plus side, he was glad to see us. The kids went and looked at the pig in the barn and K shopped for kale and fresh beans and beets and chatted. He said it has been such a bad growing seasons some farmers have had to let their CSA members know that there will be NO tomatos in their boxes this season. Can you imagine a summer without local vine ripened tomatos? This is a tragedy to me of Shakespearean levels. We bought tomatos from Curt, thankfully his CSA has fewer but still delicious ones. K cooked them down into a most scrumptious bruschetta for lunch. There is nothing like bruschetta in the summer on warm italian bread. Mmmmmm

I worked on scrapbooks in the afternoon and in the evening. Worked till I ran out of glue sticks and pages in KC's book. K will have to add some new ones for me. The way to attach them baffles me and takes me way longer than it does her. Last year I was so good and kept the scrapbooks up all year long. It is easier that way as I do one for each kid. But my last entries were from New Years so there was a lot of ground to cover. Rob's book is totally done up to date now and KC is done through April so he is nearly done. Then I have to do Miss Lissa's. When they are all up to date, then I have to do a couple special memorial pages about their grampa to start off the month of August and then I can sit back and pat myself on the back.

The kids look at these books so much. I find Rob paging through his at odd moments. I am not sure that he doesn't have some short term memory issues, though there is no formal dx. But looking back seems to spark remembrance and help to center him. He is actually on scrapbook number 3 now, the other 2 having gotten too fat to add more pages to without breaking the bindings.

In there somewhere too was supper, another delicious feast of kale lightly sauteed and eggs with corn bread on the side. I swear I was a southern tenant farmer in a past life or something. I adore greens. Turnip greens, collards, and kale are my favorite but I don't sneer at chard or spinach either. And fresh kale is rarely bitter, especially the oak leaf variety K bought yesterday.

Then we found a spider in her web on our back porch. It was so cloudy you could not see the web and she looked suspended in mid air. I got a spray bottle of water and gently misted the web area so the kids could see the anchor lines and all the delicate pathways of web that the spider had created. It was fun watching their faces as the web became revealed to them.

Went for a short walk up a few streets with KC and Lissa to see the lady who has two ducks for pets. When I don't know what to do, walking up to see Geezy and Cami almost always gets a green light from the littles. And it is just far enough that they will settle well for bed after the jaunt.

Now it is back to the work day week and shifting gears to accomodate the challenges that go with that.

No comments: