Sunday, August 16, 2009

Skunks and Drumming

OK, now that i have shed the bad mojo of the weekend I have to share two really cool things that happened. The first was early Saturday morning. I was out with the kids running errands before mom arrived. We went to the post office so I could mail a gift to Fiona for her new room at the RTC she has moved to. Our post office has these weird deep window wells on the side of the building that faces the parking lot. They are seriously deep, a whole floor level down I would think and are fenced off with wrought iron grilles. For some reason, my children always have to run over and look down into them. Don't know why. They always run over and check the wells while I unbuckle Elisabeth. This Saturday, as I have my head in the van undoing her straps, I hear KC's voice " Ooma, come look at the SKUNK!" OMG I have never unbuckled that child so quickly! I called for them to take a step back quietly and then we all approached slowly and quietly. Said skunk was a baby. Somehow it must have fallen in and it couldn't get out. Oh gosh was it ever cute. We were pretty dang cautious though! Went in the post office to do our mailing and the boys couldn't wait to tell the postal clerk what was outside. They were still fighting over who was going to get "skunk releasing" duty.

Today our church had a drumming circle. It was a kid friendly event. I was in charge of making percussion instruments with any kids who came early. That meant my 3 and 3 other kids made drums out of pails and oatmeal containers and shakers out of plastic easter eggs. It was a blast.

The drummer brought LOTS of drums though and the funny thing was that KC was able to snag a "real" drum for us. He was cool with making one but real instruments call to that kid like chocolate calls to my wife! He chose an African drum, tall with this skinny base and wide head. The fellow who led the drumming circle explained the first drumming and led off. The group followed. So kid KC, in perfect synchronicity. It was so amazing to watch.

Then it was Lissa's turn to rock my world. The third drumming sequence was based on a rhythm used in the middle east for women to dance to. They dance cathartic dances when faced with crisis in their lives and dance until they find release. OK so the drumming starts. KC by now is lying quietly just listening to the beat. He invested so much of himself in the first one he was exhausted I think. It was also amazingly hot and we aren't used to heat much this summer. But part way through that drumming sequence, Lissa got up and just started twirling to it in place. Very carefully, very intentionally. Not just the wild, 2 year old fling your body around that is so much more typical of her. It was amazing to me.

Rob said he enjoyed being there and enjoyed listening but didn't want to drum. That was the only thing I felt badly about. Not that he didn't want to do it. I am pretty sure he did. But he often holds himself back because he is so afraid of failing or not doing well enough. But at least he wanted to be there and at the end of the circle when we all held hands and closed, his strong young man's hand was holding his little brothers hand and one of his sisters hands. I love that.

1 comment: