Saturday, August 22, 2009

Thunderstorms and a clarification

OK, first a clarification. When I started the yesterdays post with the term "crazy liar" I wrote poorly. Sometimes my need for speed writing overwhelms using the english language more accurately and correctly. The sentence makes it sound like my son is crazy when I re-read it today. (as you may have surmised I didn't have time for proof reading last night and since I can't figure out how to edit a draft I don't use that feature and I just hit the publish button.) At any rate, to be clear, my son is not crazy. He exhibits what is commonly referred to as "crazy lying."

Last night we also had a bunch of thunderstorms. I am not surprised. The air quality has been poor lately. Heavy and hard to breathe. This is especially bad for K who has some asthma issues and I worry also for the younger kids who have histories of asthma in their bio families.
The storms didn't really clear the air but they did knock the temps down a bit.

Lissa doesn't like thunder. She was very cute though in her crib. She was crying and I ran up to comfort her. She said "Ooma me no like booms, me sleep with you." This is the most words she had strung together ever, so while I was wanting to comfort her I was also thrilled at the level of communication and articulation. I cuddled her and the storms rumbled off. It was too early for me to go to bed (7 pm.) so I told her that if she was still feeling like she wanted to sleep with us when I went up to bed that I would bring her in. She nodded and went happily back into her crib. And was also sound asleelp when I went up to bed at 10. Yahoo. There is room for her in the bed and she does sometimes join me, but in general she likes her own space when she sleeps.

While I have had lots of energy with the onset of the heat, I clearly must not have been hydrating myself adequately. I woke up in the night with a huge leg cramp. I used to get them all the time when I danced. I couldn't massage it out so I jumped out of bed thinking I could hobble around and loosen it. Bad plan. The right leg hurt so much that I hadn't noticed that I also had a big knot in the left leg and a cramp there as well. I literally dropped like a stone on the floor. In a bizarre way this was very amusing to me as the coolness of the floor felt good on the leg cramps and none of my kids or my wife stirred during this. Once I got them worked out, I fell back into bed (not literally folks!) and went right back to sleep.

I googled leg cramps this a.m. and the primary cause is dehydration or electrolyte imbalance. The latter doesn't happen to me often and I totally loathe drinks like gatorade so I am going to go on the assumption I need to drink more water. I have a hard time with water. My one unhealthy love is diet coke. Actually it is the bite of diet soda and the carbonation that I adore. This is not to say I do not drink water. I drink 3 to 4 glasses daily. But I don't love our city water. When I used to live in the country and have a well, now THAT was water! I can't really justify bottled water, especially since two big companies use regular city water in their bottles anyway, it doesn't taste any better to me. And I drink tea too, so I figured I was good. But it has been very hot and my bedroom is on the second floor and had no a/c or fan (I could have a fan but the noise of it makes it hard for me to sleep). So my plan for today is to install a new back storm door. . . oh yeah, and drink lots more water! :-)

2 comments:

Todd said...

Thanks for the un-needed for me clarification. *smile*

Glad you know what you need to do to stop/reduce the leg cramps.

Mama Drama Times Two said...

Silly girl! Of course we know the difference between crazy liars (some politicians in Washington)and crazy lying (what our RAD and not so Rad kids do EVERY day!!!!!)