Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Will wii or won't wii?

OK here is another factoid about me that many folks probably don't know. I don't really like video games. Maybe that is because um pong was popular when i was in high school. and Atari when i was in my late teens, early 20's. I actually get motion sick from some of the modern video games. They move so fast and the horizon line changes so quickly I get queasy.

But my personal dislikes aside, video games have a propensity for turning my Rob into a zombie. The only time it doesn't is if he is playing with his younger brother. Then i think the forced breaks and discussions (arguments??) over whose turn is next and such prevent him from totally zoning out. But the zone out thing scares me. He literally will sorta glaze over and be very uncommunicative if playing them on his own for more than 10 or 15 minutes. I read something somewhere that some people's brains are impacted by the video games more than others and i wonder if that is the case for him. So there is that concern.

There is also the fact that deep down I think these games stifle creativity and spontaneous play that I associate way more with childhood. Building forts, making artistic messes or science experiments in the kitchen, outdoor explorations. That kind of thing. I find the presence of video games can erode all children's interest in those other things.

OK so there are all the cons. On the plus side, the wii system does allow for more exercise than one's thumb. And it would be something to do to burn energy maybe in the deep dark days of winter when they can only play outside for 40 minutes or so a day. I do have a problem with that as my kids are all high energy. 3 of the 4 seasons we typically have 60 to 90 minutes of outdoor play after supper nightly. In winter we can't and my house rings with the cacophony that results.

And so I ponder. Do I shock em at Yule with a wii system? And if I do, how do I find a game that will interest both a 5 1/2 year old and my 13 year old? And how many of the stupid different kind of controllers will I need? Sigh. I like buying bendaroos and blendy pens. I know how those work! This is confusing. And I really really don't know if it will be a good thing or something that I will grow to regret.

On a slightly related note, with the exception of deciding whether to put one of these technological marvels on layaway, I have 90 per cent of the actual Yule gifts bought for the kids and K. I am about 1/2 done for Fiona and have not done stocking stuffers for anyone yet. But I am way ahead of where I have been the last 2 years!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't "get" video games either; just somehow can't connect what I see on the screen to what I want to do. But we do have a Wii and I have a lot of fun with that. My former-college-athlete partner is very bitter that I keep beating her since things like golf and tennis should be her thing, but somehow it works for me.

We definitely have fun at it and have been beaten by a five-year-old first time player, so it seems pretty good for all ages. We only have the sports and Wii Fit games, but our library lets us check out games. There's a long waiting list, but it's fun to try things I wouldn't use otherwise.

I know that at least the Wii sports games don't feel like a video game to me. I don't know how Rob would respond to it; my game-obsessed brothers probably have a hard time stopping. But for a casual gamer, it's easy and a lot of fun. It probably would have made your rainy summer easier! And if you only offer the option of joint play, maybe that would be a good thing.

Todd said...

I can't play video games because of bad thumb joints, but I can play Wii Sport and Fit. I think you'd be happy with it.

Lee said...

Thank you for the perspectives. I think if we do this it will definately be the sports and the fitness ones. It helps to hear what others think about this--K's whole family think I am a nut job because I am not into video games and don't let the kids become little tv zombies.

Anonymous said...

We are slow to acquire video games also. Our boys are 7, 9 and 12. They have had the Leapster system, and my 12 year old just got a Nintendo DS last Christmas - he'd been asking for years! We also received a Wii last Christmas, we don't have many games - Sports, MarioKart, Play, Supesluggers and minigolf. We got the wiiFit in Feb. All of the boys enjoy playing, and especially like the sports games - they've bowled a lot with it and lately have been playing tennnis. They also spend some time doing the wiiFit exersices. It's not as good as playing outside, but better than sitting around. I would get the console that includes the sports games, and four of the regular controllers. That way the maximum number of players can play. You'll need the nunchucks to box, but you'll only need two. Good luck.
Julie