Sunday, February 26, 2012

Erin Go Bear?

This afternoon the kids and I decorated for St. Patricks Day.  We took our white teddy bear and with a bit of  vinyl table cloth manufactured him a green checked vest.  It is nattily secured with a shamrock decoration and a green hat is positioned rakishly on his head.  Next to him is my kids new favorite decoration--a little cauldron filled with "gold" coins that lights up.  They are enthralled.  LOL  In front of Mr. Bear is our next "in process decoration."  I got these 6 plastic shot glasses a few years ago.  One year they held candy at place settings on St. Patricks Day.  Another year they held battery operated votive candles. This year they are again being re-invented.  I stuffed foam inside them and the kids and I got twigs that we stuck into the foam.  We will then attach small foam shamrocks to turn them into festive bushes and trees! 

Martha Stewart is not quaking over our brand of creativity but we had a lot of fun. There were lots of laughs and the house shines with green now.  I am sort of starved for green by this time in the year. In fact, February and March are about the only months that i can be counted on to buy flowers when I go shopping.  I consider them as essential to my spirit as our staples are to our cooking.  Gardens seem a light year away by February. Even though we have planned our veggie garden, it is a wee bit too early yet to start anything much.  And I yearn for flowers.  We haven't had a lot of snow and that is great, but the landscape is still roughly like November.  Sere. Brown.  Spectacularly colorless. 

So I tend to buy budget bouquets of carnations, which with care last 2 weeks, meaning I only need to buy flowers about 3 to 4 times in a 2 month period.  By then, the crocus will have appeared and daffodil shoots, and I won't need my flower fix to come from a store.

No comments: