Monday, October 26, 2009

Installing a Ceiling Part 2

I'll post pics tomorrow but we did the whole dang ceiling today!!! Eric got the lights down in quick order and we got the whole ceiling up by a bit before 3 p.m. He was stunned when we left the message on his cell that he could come put the lights back any time. He was on another job and so didn't arrive for a couple hours but the change in the room is amazing. We discovered I am really REALLY good at demolition. LOL I have a lot of arm strength that came in handy there and can climb around on things that i hope my children never climb on (like counters and upright freezers) to successfully remove tiles and other debris.

K on the other hand, is the perfect foil as installation was her strength. She is a quilter and in a way, doing acoustic tile ceilings is a lot like piecing a quilt. Since quilting is something I admire but don't really do with ease, she was so much faster at that it was downright pointless for me to install with her. Instead, I demoted myself to go-fer status and kept the work site tidy for safety, got her all the tools she needed so she didn't need to get off her ladder, and kept her supplied with tea and tiles. Oh and kept an eye on the kiddos who did a wonderful job raising very little mayhem.

We had an easy supper (defrosted some chili) and then I took the kids to my work where there was a magic show taking place at 5 p.m. The show was really cute and all the kids loved it. I enjoyed seeing Rob laughing and engaged just as much as the younger kids. I have the feeling he may never have seen a magic show before. Those firsts are as much fun to watch regardless of the age of the child.

The kitchen is tidy and in order but none of our decorations or the antiques are washed and up on the shelf. My grandmother had a cool collection of things like old scales, and mortars and pestles, candle molds etc, and these decorate a long wall length shelf in the kitchen. Tomorrow I will wash the shelf and all the things that usually stay there. I will wash the trays and large plates that reside on an opposing wall and rinse K's blue glass bottle collection and restore them to the window. We had really thought the installation would take 2 days so I am lucky to have a free day to putter at this.

I have also promised the kids halloween cards as a craft and after supper a friend from the park is coming to our house for a play visit. I want to make sure tomorrow is more fun for them than today was. I can ask for one day of extra effort on their part but I feel compelled to reward that effort the following day.

2 comments:

Mama Drama Times Two said...

You are very brave to tackle a project like that - can't wait to see the pictures.

Todd said...

Good day all around, eh? Most excellent :)