Thursday, October 15, 2009

Literacy Fair Fun

The clubhouse where I work ran a literacy fair tonight. They were selling Usborne books and being the usborne book junkie that I am, I had promised to come and bring the kids. Oh, I am soooo bad around Books. If there was a 12 step program for books, I would be a member. Wait. I would not. I love them too much. When I am 98 I will die because a big ole tower of books will fall on me but I will die happy.

So off I went with the tribe. It was fun. A smallish turn out which is sad as you didn't have to buy books to have fun. There was home made play do to shape into letters, puppets to make in a wide variety of ways, letter stamps (they were raised and made the most amazing imprints in the playdo. I have got to get Lissa some of those) And one of our clubhouse people who is a teacher read stories to the kids.

Because I am "that" kind of parent, when my kids went to the story circle I sat down there with them. Poor Glo nearly cried because I was the only parent to do that. Sigh. But Glo much as I love her I know harbors deep reservations about my parenting. I believe in co-sleeping. GASP. I believe in homeschooling. DOUBLE GASP And whenever possible I embrace child led learning. (Emma, where are the SMELLING SALTS!) It just flat out isn't possible for Glo to believe my kids are getting the educational exposures and the social experiences they need from me, their um, parent.

So sitting at story circle turned into a wee bit of a test. Glo knows that I told her KC who is 5 is a pretty fluent reader. (for the record I am also pretty up front that I didn't really teach this to KC with the exception of reading to him from birth. The kid is a sponge for knowledge) But Glo starts reading and then turns to KC and asks if he would like a turn. He says sure, and reads the next page like nobodies business. Glo raises an eyebrow at me and gives him another page that has more difficult words like "because, know and croak" in the sentences. Again, he rattles off the page with no problem. The story involves an owl who is sleepy in the daytime. Glo asks why the owl might be sleepy. KC looks a little puzzled so she continues with the question "do any of you know what nocturnal means?" KC smiles and says "oh yes! Of course. Because nocturnal means they are up at night time and so they sleep in the day time! " By now, Glo says she wishes the kids in her class in school were like KC. Score one for weird homeschooling parents! LOL

After the story circle it was time for snack and paying for all the wonderful books we found and then we all staggered out to the car with our purchases. Lissa was aglow because she got a pencil. Pencils are for "big kids" and she has her very own. Shiny purple with stars! Rob decided he wanted a book on conversational french phrases so he and Chet could talk with the french canadians when we go camping next summer. C'est bon!

1 comment:

Mama Drama Times Two said...

AMAZING!!!! You must have been sooo proud of your children!