Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Just Stuff

My thoughts are scattered this morning. In part, because I think I am not feeling well. I have been fighting the plague that laid my family low (you know that respiratory thingy). I actually got this before Kirsty did and it seemed very light. I am all about herbs and vitamins and eating good healthy stuff and I did all that. And I have never been so sick with this that I ran a fever or had to miss work (well since I have 90 accrued sick days do you think that happens too often?) I have done all my usual stuff with the kids but have had to push myself a bit more. As the weeks went by I noticed that my congestion hasn't left--but I also have fall allergies from time to time so I thought maybe it was that. Then last week my chest started getting tight and that hasn't let up. When I am playing football with them, or running I notice I don't have the wind that I usually do. I can keep up with them but I am WORKING! And that part is sort of weird because I don't have all that much of a cough. Ugh. So today, I have to accept the fact that 4 weeks into this is probably as much time as is reasonable to allow my body to heal itself and call for an antibiotic. Which I hate. I hate the way they make me feel. End of crabbing!

Last night it was too cold to really hang out at the park so we went for a walk instead. It was sprinkling still and had rained earlier in the day so the kids had warm coats and boots for puddle stomping. We did a lot of that and collected leaves and came home very happy. Lissa loves to walk on stone walls now. She has watched KC do this for quite a while and didn't have the courage to do it--which is weird because she has phenomenal balance--but all things in their time.

Chet has been volunteering for a meals program in our area for a long time now. It was actually a small paid position for a few years and then they had the first round of budget cuts and could no longer afford to pay him. He continued on as a volunteer and hoped that funding would be restored so that they could re-hire him. Unfortunately the economic conditions continued to worsen and they have actually had to slash the program still further. Others have lost their jobs and the food service is getting parcelled out to many different sites. Bottom line, there is no longer a way for him to volunteer there. The fellow who had hired Chet called personally and explained it all to both Chet and then to Kirsty. (I think he knew Chet might not get all the details) It was clear he felt badly and i feel badly for Chet as well. I will work on finding another niche for him in the community. He needs that and it is not easy to find. His personality is unique--we are all unique but my Chet a wee bit more so than most! (and I mean this in a loving but honest way) I have found people either like him immediately or he drives them totally round the bend with his constant questions and his lack of ability to keep routines and thoughts ordered in his head. So it isn't just finding the volunteer opportunity, it is also finding that special person who can help him to maintain his focus and his tasks without going batty while doing it. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

So sorry you're sick but welcome to the club. I, too, loathe taking antibiotics so I hear you loud and clear. Yuck.

Mama Drama Times Two said...

Sorry to hear about Chet's job - Hope you all feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

I hope you feel better soon!