Monday, June 4, 2012

Fiona Rocks it Out!

I tried to figure out how to print a picture of my daughter on stage and insert it here in the blog.  Alas, technology has once again defeated me! LOL  Her number, sung with one of her friends at school was videod and featured on the website of the parent organization of the Great School in the City.  In short, my daughter rocked it out.

But the night was about much much more than that.  It didn't all start off particularly well.  We left later than I had planned as we thought the ride was shorter than it was.  Well, 2 1/2 hours later we were hopelessly lost and the show was near to starting.  My anxiety was up through the proverbial roof.  I had promised Fiona we would see her before the show started.  I am absolutely committed to keeping my word.  I don't dance around things. I don't say things I can not do.  Usually.  Big City traffic and a ball game for the home team made for a challenge to put it mildly.  I have a new phone and I could not make the GPS in the stupid thing work. If I still had my Blackberry I knew what to do to help K navigate but I had only owned the Droid (courtesy of my company) for 2 whole days.  Tension in our car was on the high  stratospheric side.  My mom raised me that 10 minutes early was on time.  By my upbringing-we were SO late!

We got there 5 minutes or so into the show.  Amazing Jane was watching for us and hustled us through to nearly front row seats.  Bless her heart.  She could see the tension and worry all over my face.  She pointed toward the wings of the stage and said "just wave over there, she'll see you."  I could not see Fi but apparently she could and did see my frantic waving.  She relaxed, I relaxed.  The show went on.

We were also sitting next to one of Rob's cousin's who we had not met before.  She is lovely and has a daughter KC's age. All the kids got on famously and I was particularly impressed with the calm quiet way that she engaged Rob.  She didn't act like he should or would remember her.  She commented on his fashion style (always a way to his heart) and was very enjoyable to chat with.

But for me, I didn't chat a lot.  I was glued to the stage.  The show itself was fantastic.  There were professional performers helping out the kids, a back up band, actors who did skits with them, a magician who came out periodically to do some pretty amazing tricks.  Fiona has a real gift for performing and truly did very well.  I was the totally proud mama, but I also was genuinely happy for each of the kids.  Because the school population is fairly small, I have come to know most of them over the years.  Watching each of them overcome their particular challenges and perform for a large audience was so awesome I was a teary mushy mess inside.  I am beyond grateful that the Great School exists for people like my daughter and her friends and class mates.  And part of me wonders if a school like this would have helped my Chet to shine a little more brightly, with fewer growing pains along the way.  I don't know.  Hindsight is always 20/20.

After the show was over, we waited and saw Fiona and congratulated her.  She gave me a really enormous hug.  "Oh mom" she said, "I was afraid you weren't coming."  My heart broke that she had worried about that.  On the other hand, as I have had time to think about it, this was pretty profound.  Fiona was able to tell me how she felt. She was able to see that despite the hiccup in transportation, we came through, and she still called me Mom with her first family there with us.  I am not in competition with them, I don't want things to sound like that. But as signs of attachment go, I thought it was pretty darn good. :-)

Next time though, I am leaving early and probably taking public transportation!  LOL

No comments: