Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Rob has a job interview

I have gone easy and slow on the job thing with Rob.  Partly because I feel that kids need time to be kids.  Kids from trauma especially need to be kids and to learn that adults can be trusted to care for them.  Jumping into adult like responsibilities too soon just didn't feel right to me.

Added to that, Robis a quiet kid, with some PTSD issues that would have made going through a job interview painful at best and possibly damaging until recently.  In the past six or eight months I have seen a bit more self assurance in him.  So when an opportunity came up to apply as a summer counselor for the camp that happens at the complex I work at, I suggested that he apply.  It is only 6 weeks which also makes it a nice entry into the job world, still leaving time for his away camp and other summer fun.

He applied and today was his interview.  He was nervous but seemed to handle himself pretty well.  He drove into work with me and we talked about some of the questions the interviewer might ask and what he could say to show that he was a good worker.  In all honesty he is very good with kids and also has experience outside of our family, having volunteered in our church nursery for many weeks.

I think he was surprised that the questions we prepped for were actually asked!  But now we wait to see what the final decision is.

1 comment:

Todd said...

Hope he gets the job.