Sunday, March 21, 2010

Crazy Busy

So yesterday was a gloriously beautiful spring day. And instead of hiking or performing a ritual, or planting, I was cooped up inside with 8 other people on the Religious Ed committee at our church.  I was so annoyed.  However, my annoyance passed remarkably quickly when I could see the real committment the rest of the committee had to the day and the work before us.  I am a co chair on this committee--not quite sure how that happened.  This retreat day typically has a lot of "visioning."  With no aspersions to the visionaries out there, I am not one.  I am a do-er.  My style is more a quick efficient assessment of needs and then a quick accurate plan of attack that we review in 6 months to see if it is working. Anyone watch Project Runway?  Tim Gunn is always saying "make it work people,"  and that is me.  Get going and get doing.   I get that most people don't think like that.  It may be a function of the busy life I lead that has resulted in this type of outlook.  Or it may just be that I was hardwired this way at birth.  I truly don't know.

What I do know is that yesterday we managed to combine both my need for relatively quick and concise work with the dadgum visioning that others feel crucial to their experiences and it worked.  I even had people on the committee thank me afterwards for keeping things moving along.  Hmmmm!  We finished at 3:30 instead of 4 so I was home at a 1/2 way decent time.  Had supper with the family and a great night at the park.  Today is our last good weather day for a while so we have eeked out every glorious outdoor moment that we could.

1 comment:

Todd said...

I tend to be a 'doer' as well, although never lead a group of people, just myself.